Enhancing Imagination

It's a very interesting article and a lot of it makes sense. I've never tried to analyse my creative process.

My solution when faced with major creative problems is to take a hot shower for as long as it takes to resolve the issues, but I had no idea so much stuff is going on in my head while I'm in there!

It's a very interesting article and a lot of it makes sense. I've never tried to analyse my creative process.

My solution when faced with major creative problems is to take a hot shower for as long as it takes to resolve the issues, but I had no idea so much stuff is going on in my head while I'm in there!
I come up with so many of my best ideas in the shower, I should seriously install a laptop in there to make it easier to remember them.

Mmmm, not sure on all the 'findings' on the article, as they generally just throw up a single paper for some of their assertions, which especially in the field that these studies take place....nah sorry, need much more study. Plus it seems, just to me, they are falling into proscribing a bunch of stereotypes of the weird lonely loser creative genius. Nope, don't buy that.

And I find it odd that they seem to heavily suggest that creativity is a solitary thing. I get blinding insights when interacting with others - no, not brainstorming as the article states, but a whole host of other ways. For example, Y'know, just talking to other people. Normally. Without all this consultancy bullsh*t.

</End rant> :giggle:

Um... no. Except #3 and #4, I'm going to have to reject this article.

I happen to think the creative process is a very personal thing. Where Brian (above) finds #1 acceptable and helpful, I'd cry trying to do that. I tend to write willy-nilly, seeing if something works, and deleting/throwing it away when it doesn't. That it most often doesn't work doesn't upset me, because the process itself leads me to new ideas and possible pathways!

I do outline my story first, whether on paper or in my head. But I suppose I'm more chaotic than most as to how I achieve my goals. Still, I tend to like the results - and it is my strongest opinion that a writer first and foremost must write for his/her own enjoyment.

But I tend to find most "writing instructional manuals" restrictive. I much more enjoy these threads of ours, as I watch the debates on writing styles and methods. They have been the most influence upon my learning what is best for me!

Mmmm, not sure on all the 'findings' on the article, as they generally just throw up a single paper for some of their assertions, which especially in the field that these studies take place....nah sorry, need much more study. Plus it seems, just to me, they are falling into proscribing a bunch of stereotypes of the weird lonely loser creative genius. Nope, don't buy that.

And I find it odd that they seem to heavily suggest that creativity is a solitary thing. I get blinding insights when interacting with others - no, not brainstorming as the article states, but a whole host of other ways. For example, Y'know, just talking to other people. Normally. Without all this consultancy bullsh*t.

</End rant> :giggle:

I'd argue that any article that suggests you can improve in being creative is automatically going against the stereotype of the weird lonely loser creative genius - and it also argues for collaboration towards the bottom of the article. YMMV but I got no vibe from it suggesting that creativity is a solitary thing, or that the things it suggests would only work on one's own.

And even if it has that bias, there's nothing stopping you from nicking its ideas and using them collaboratively when you want anyway :p

Sure, its not as heavily backed as it could be scientifically (although more heavily backed than 95% of what I've seen on the subject) and is very corporate in tone... but 90% of it is stuff I've seen people talk about doing here already.

Stephen Palmer: yup.
I first encountered this in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, though the technique was hardly original with Pirsig. When stuck, or even when not particularly stuck on a problem, stop thinking about it. This works with disconcerting consistency. I steadfastly refuse to believe in a muse, in characters acting on their own, or all that sort of stuff. I live in my conscious mind and that's where the stories come from.

And yet... there's that whole go-for-a-walk, take-a-shower thing that really does appear to work. So I shrug and take what it gives me and don't ask too many questions lest I frighten off my not-muse.

Thanks Peat, that article was incredibly interesting to me, I've forwarded it on to a lot of my teacher friends; I hate the way they get the sugar paper or Post-its out and force the students to 'mind map' (apparently 'brainstorm' is a pejorative term that schools no longer like!!), so I was delighted at the comment there. I always tell the kids 'just play', and whether that means telling them to move to the music until something evolves or percolates, or whatnot, they lead their own creativity.

Dancers, however, do have huge and fragile egos obviously (they are the most damaged or challenging set of students, their relationship to The Body is just so dysfunctional) so I'll have to agree to that penultimate point, from experience.

stereotypes of the weird lonely loser creative genius
Hey hey hey, we're archetypes thankyouverymuch ;)

Y'know, just talking to other people. Normally. Without all this consultancy bullsh*t.

Agreed. Our LonChrons or other impromptu connections have had a hugely positive impact on my creativity. How many times have we been in a pub (and my lounge) and Peat has suddenly said something along the lines of, 'So, I've had this idea for <exceptional idea>'? And I know that when I listen to you guys talking often it gives me new ideas (not criminal ones, I hasten to add, although knives sometimes feature).

I must berate you though, Peat; you know how slow a reader I am, so I have just sat here for the last two hours reading it (I know it wasn't that long, but I had to click on a lot of the hotlinks about things like incubation, enjambment etc), so my WIP is still no more than a Scrivener icon at the bottom of my screen. ;)

I started copy/pasting sections of the article in this reply but stopped when I realised how much applied to me, as I'd've just been rehashing the piece. I did find the link with trauma interesting and wondered about my depression fuelling my stuff; my flash fiction here got much more reflective when my brother was killed and my financial struggles have made it so that writing was an escape for me.

Certainly I work better under restrictions - how many conversations have we had when I've moaned about open themes or genre in the challenges; how many times have we dreamt up obscure themes and genres? Can you imagine stories in a month without princesses, demons, dragons, unicorns, royal families and thingymancers? Pretty creative entries, I'd bet.

At the risk of starting a third paragraph with I, and confirm my damaged egocentricity as a dancer; I agree with some of what Cathbad says inasmuch as different spokes for different folks, but I'm not convinced that relates to Creativity:

I happen to think the creative process is a very personal thing. Where Brian (above) finds #1 acceptable and helpful, I'd cry trying to do that. I tend to write willy-nilly, seeing if something works, and deleting/throwing it away when it doesn't.

To me that seems like more a craft concern than a creativity one, esp because:

I do outline my story first, whether on paper or in my head.

I'd also suggest there is a distinction between the terms 'creativity' and 'ideas'. Creativity is the gestalt and ideas come from that place.

Anyway, it's a great read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

pH