Angry Robot open door for May

I held off putting the book on Amazon as they don't touch already 'published' books but these open sessions are so rare and none of us have got anywhere with this one, so is there any point not putting it on Amazon?

I held off putting the book on Amazon as they don't touch already 'published' books but these open sessions are so rare and none of us have got anywhere with this one, so is there any point not putting it on Amazon?
Do you want to self publish it? Have you tried agents first if you want a publisher? I tend not to decide on the publishing platform based on anything other than where it’s best suited to

Do you want to self publish it? Have you tried agents first if you want a publisher? I tend not to decide on the publishing platform based on anything other than where it’s best suited to

I would agree mostly with this. The exception is when you have a good reason to self-publish (e.g. producing a family history book which no publisher in their right mind would think is profitable, but members of your family would be interested in).

I intend to self-publish a novella later on this year. The reason is simple - it's a kind of Andy Weir's The Martian situation i.e. has a lot of background tech that would put publishers off, but would be of interest to scientists and techies. Yes I did have a publisher interested in it, but they wanted me to do a couple of things that I felt uncomfortable about (nothing dodgy or illegal I hasten to add - just me and my personality hitting the discomfort zone badly). So if your reason for self-publishing is other than 'I can't get it published any other way', then go ahead and publish away. If not, try to get your novel published by the business.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! So, did anybody get a response?

Someone on another forum I was lurking got an 11th hour request on the first, but nothing in my e-mail. I keep refreshing my spam lolol Agreed with the person who said to file it away under a success for trying. But I can't help being bummed that if I ever get an actual agent it means they can't try AR since they've technically already seen it.

You can't send it to them again, but an agent possibly could. Agents can do things that authors can't, especially if you had revised it since. And an agent might know who at that particular publishing house might be most receptive to that story. (If it fell at the first fence--the first reader--that means that not everyone got to see it.). Agents often have long working relationships with a publisher or an editor, and have gained their trust, so under certain circumstances they might be able to convince someone to take a look at a more polished version of a story they have already seen. From the author, that would just be annoying.

A bigger problem would be if an agent had submitted it and it had been rejected, because then it had been that route and couldn't do so again with that particular publisher.

I have self-published my AD2045 series and, after years of failing to find a publisher/agent, seeing less and less reason not to add the book sent to Angry Robot into the mix. A lot of publishers will consider something that has been put out via Amazon, especially if they do well. Mine have had good reviews but not been commercially success yet - maybe with an extra book added and a proper marketing focus it could finally work?

I decided to give up on holding back for a publisher and have put the The Wayster on Amazon. Now I need to re-build my website. What ever happens, at least feel am being pro-active rather than just sitting in hope, for that one in a million chance of having the right book for the right editor with the right remit at the right time.