Undersea beings harmed by North Sea gas drilling attack the UK

Rob Dean

Apocalyptic novel with a male protagonist, probably narrated in first person. Intelligent undersea creatures whose habitat is being harmed by North Sea gas drilling attack the UK. They are initially repulsed and a period of quiet follows, but an insidious, hitherto unknown infection then grips and decimates the human population; the ferocity of the disease destroys the capacity to fight the creatures. No-one knows if the disease is a form of germ warfare by the creatures, or a natural result of germ transmission between two previously isolated species; in any event there is insufficient time to find a cure. Britain becomes a land where society and structure has broken down, survivors are very few, and the protagonist avoids contact with anyone remaining for fear of catching the disease.

This novel was originally published either in the 1960s or early 70s. Hardback (possibly Heinmann?), in English with a cover that may depict a stylised undersea being. Aimed at older teenagers or adults. Perhaps influenced by John Wyndham!! I am really interested to find the author’s name and the book title. Any ideas anyone?

Did the story involve people wearing isolation suits when they went visiting the neighbors??

Maybe Sea Devils for the critters, however I can't find anything about them causing a plague.

The hunt continues

It's tricky searching for a "book similar to the kraken wakes", stupid bot takes you directly to The Kraken Wakes.

"Curses at tech stuff*

An idea. I wonder if this is the relatively obscure Red Tide by D. D. Chapman and Delores Lehman Tarzan (1975). It was their only book.

The summary somewhat matches and the cover is definitely an undersea humanoid.

Summary: “Pseudonym of US art critic and author Deloris Tarzan Ament (1934- ), active from around 1970 in Seattle, Washington;… Her sf novel Red Tide (1975) with D D Chapman, which is initially set in a research station Under the Sea, describes the disastrous Ecological consequences of sudden anomalies in the growth of the eponymous algal bloom; the protagonists of the tale then discover that a connected Disaster has made the surface of the planet uninhabitable. [JC]”

1690639253260.jpeg

Maybe Sea Devils for the critters, however I can't find anything about them causing a plague.

The hunt continues

There was a plague in the related story The Silurians.
Maybe it was the novelizations of the TV show. Perhaps the OP read both and conflated them.