(Found) A.i that makes clockwork traps, man pig cop and other oddities

Billsfairlane

I'm trying to find a novel i read sometime around 2006. It involves a space policeman, his man-pig partner, multiple space stations each with their own society, an a.i. that makes clockwork boobytraps and a conspiracy amongst his fellow officers. There are also two other forms of evolved humanity as i recall, one of whom uses the exhaust from their ship to cut another ship in half. One space station specializes in voting correctly like 97% of the time. Oh and the protagonist had memories of his dead wife suppressed by his superiors. In addition the police...nightstick stand in is an interrogation device that one of the baddies uses to kill an evolved human. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It wasnt a great novel but it was unique and enjoyable.

This is making me think of The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds, however it's a long time since I read and I can't think of all the details.
It's recently been reissued under a new title...Aurora Rising

This is making me think of The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds
Me too.

The book has been renamed as Aurora Rising... and the sequel, Elysium Fire, is in the ebook pile on my Kindle. (I borrowed The Prefect from the library, so unless it's still on the shelves, I might have to buy Aurora Rising to get me back up to speed before reading the sequel.)

Don't worry about editing the title. I'll do that for you.

Meanwhile, I hope you'll stick around and join in threads about Reynolds or reading SF or anything else!