God of War leaves Red Dead Redemption in its dust.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Not tried either - waiting for them to come down in price, hopefully around Christmas shopping season time. :)

Bugg

A Lerxst in Wonderland
I thought God of War was fantastic. Not played RDR2 - too many games, too little time!

thaddeus6th

Bugg, aye, that's something that I think people forget sometimes. The average gamer now is in their early 30s and even if you're relatively footloose and fancy free, there's simply not the same time that a schoolkid or university student has.

Although I wasn't taken with the addition of Boy to God of War, the game does seem to have gone down very well indeed. I played Red Dead Redemption, but despite every ingredient seeming to be right, the recipe just didn't produce a cake that suited me. Not sure why.

Bugg

A Lerxst in Wonderland
I think this constant need for open world, seemingly endless games is also partly the problem. One reason I enjoyed God of War so much (and games like The Last of Us and the Uncharted games) is that they had story, character and were quite linear, lasted 15 - 20 hours each and then were done. I wish more games these days were like that.

thaddeus6th

I agree. It's a different genre, but that problem also tallies with the decline from Dragon Age: Origins to Dragon Age Inquisition.

A big world of fetch quests doesn't match a smaller, tight world with interesting characters and plot.