Article about Amazon grouped ratings ludicrousness

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
A short Guardian article about something I've noticed for a while, but which seems to be getting worse, and which I haven't seen mentioned much.

Amazon shoppers misled by 'bundled' star-ratings and reviews

The only sensible conclusion is that Amazon is now staffed by a kind of low-grade consciousness that developed from someone fly-tipping on the site of a Beaker People burial ground.

It's pretty poor. I remember seeing eight identical reviews of one book, by the same person.

It's about time Amazon had a more competent and socially-conscious competitor like, say, Weyland Yutani.

Yeah, I've been tempted to contact Amazon about this recently, as I've been looking to buy ancient texts for my studies. While the Penguin or Oxford edition will appear as the paperback edition, it'll be some 19th century reprint put up by an opportunist for the Kindle version, which I absolutely do not want.

Grouping products by translator name is much better than trying to bundle everything by title, ie, The Iliad.

They also quite often bundle reviews for a whole series together, so if you're just interested for the time being in whether book 1 is any good, it's impossible to tell.

Back