April 2019: Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my agenda also for mid summer, sitting out on a deckchair on my patio.
I'm dithering whether or not to start with The Hobbit because I only reread that about two years ago but LOTR was a lot longer, maybe a decade
If you haven’t read it, how about The Annotated Hobbit? I really enjoyed that. Read it for the first time last year.

Just finished Age of Assassins by RJ Barker. It felt like a breath of fresh air. The world dark but a bright story instead of grimdark cynicism (which only very few authors do well). And a consistently human pov, with a personable main character. The world is shown. As a reader I had to (and could) observe it rather than being told in infodumps. And first-rate storytelling. It pulled me right in. Looks like a three-book series and I‘ll definitely read on!

I finished Oathbringer, the third Stormlight Archive book. Rather liked it, will review a bit later.

Begun The Blue Book of the War (WWI), which I think first came out in 1916. It's already rather sad, but fascinating to read the mindset. Very patriotic, not especially pro-German, praising the British for lining up to join the war, yet also clear that war's terrible.

Larry Niven: "World of Ptavvs"
Mentioned recently by @Bick : many thanks.

Just finished Age of Assassins by RJ Barker. It felt like a breath of fresh air. The world dark but a bright story instead of grimdark cynicism (which only very few authors do well). And a consistently human pov, with a personable main character. The world is shown. As a reader I had to (and could) observe it rather than being told in infodumps. And first-rate storytelling. It pulled me right in. Looks like a three-book series and I‘ll definitely read on!

Its a wonderful, wonderful book.

I'm currently reading the last in the series, King of Assassins and I have to say its not as much fun. Hopefully it picks up.

Right now I'm finding myself caught in the American History written by Jill Lepore, These Truths: A History of the United States. I am a history major in college, I taught American History for two years, and Minority Cultures for two years, and I am still learning things I never knew about the era from Columbus to the American Revolution. I have Man O'War by Dan Jones on deck.

Its a wonderful, wonderful book.

I'm currently reading the last in the series, King of Assassins and I have to say its not as much fun. Hopefully it picks up.
Please let us know if it does. I‘d be very interested in your thoughts about the series.

Legacies by F. Paul Wilson

A Repairman Jack novel. Quite entertaining, IMO.

Well I hope you like it now. Have you read Protector?

I enjoyed it. It was a pleasant change of pace for me. I will probably read "Protector" in a while, following your recommendation, but I don't like to plan too far ahead.
I'd noted the title from your comments to @AE35Unit in the March Reading thread and then came across a copy of "Ptavvs". I haven't read much Niven, and what I have was mostly more than forty years ago. For instance I was completely unaware of his "known space" (Known Space - Wikipedia ). However, "What Good is a Glass Dagger" is one of my favourite short stories, so I have a soft spot for his writing.

finished with the ring of fire. it's entertaining... some of them , at least.

Reading 'The Fractured Atlas — Five Fragments', a novella in John Connolly's Night Music, which I'll hopefully have finished by tomorrow.

I've just got the 4th Jonathan Hamilton short story 'A better way to die' by Paul Cornell.
To again familiarise myself with this peculiar universe I'm re-reading the first three stories before I begin it.

finished with the ring of fire. it's entertaining... some of them , at least.
When you say finished ring of fire, what exactly do you mean tobl, as there are about 20 ring of Fire books at least. Is this a particular book or part of the 1632verse? Cheers.

When you say finished ring of fire, what exactly do you mean tobl, as there are about 20 ring of Fire books at least. Is this a particular book or part of the 1632verse? Cheers.
yeah, i had about 21 books to hear (audiobooks). so i heard must of them. call it 2/3 probably. some, i didn't care for the story so i jumped to others. on the all it's entertaining... normally.

Just finished reading Transcription, by Kate Atkinson. Was a great story, with a great plot. Kept the tension right up to the last chapter. There were three timelines 1940, 1950 and 1981. There were traces of light humour to keep you focused. 8/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back