DISCUSSION -- April 2019 - 75 Word Challenge

Although painfully distracted by the howling of the Stones -- the Ursa jury rolls to orchestral music rather than rock -- it is still able to present its decision.

The following are in posting order within the categories:

Honourable Mentions:
  • A Warning to Wanderers by Victoria Silverwolf
  • It Contains Legions by Stable
  • The Roommate Revival by LittleStar
  • Building Up To The Obvious Climax by The Big Peat
Runners Up:
  • Necessity Is The Mother of Invention by mosaix
  • Homecoming, November 11th 1918 by Peter V
  • Voracious by Teresa Edgerton
Winner:
  • Served Cold by The Judge

Congratulations Teresa Edgerton

And great job @Cat's Cradle & @mosaix

My Story - Due to me remembering November's 85 Challenge (since I was last here), I thought the 75 was now and forever 85 words.
So this serious mistake cost me an entry. Anyway, here is my voided post.

Tenebris Aetate Aedificium

"Your eminence. I've translated the text. There's good news, and bad news."

"Bad news?"

"A 400 foot leviathan, will instinctively be drawn to this building, next month."

"WHAT?!"

"This place was designed to attract it."

"God, help us...."

"The good news is, the monster will accidentally impale itself on this building's spires.
Then humankind enjoys a thousand years of peace.
There'll be singing flowers, Pringles, chocolate, a petting zoo..."

"Give me, that book!" (pluck) "Hmm..........it does say that."

"God is mysterious, but very cool."

Well this is exciting, to win in a month where there were so many wonderful stories. I really thought someone would catch up and go past me at the last minute.

Thank you to everyone who mentioned my story.

And thank you very much Victoria, Parson, nixie, Perpetual Man, HareBrain, The Judge, and Abernovo for the votes!

Congrats, Teresa!!

Many thanks to @Daysman for the vote, and thanks also to those who mentioned and listed my story. I honestly didn't expect any traction at all this month, as I felt I was really stretching it with the genre. I was getting no where with straight gothic, so I had to improvise a little to get something in!

Teresa, congrats! You are definitely the Tiger Woods of this contest.

(Grins) and (Grins) some more.

Congrats @Teresa Edgerton and thanks for the mentions folks.

After setting the genre/theme I had no idea what I wanted to write. In the end I went down the American gothic (not the TV series) path of madness with a hint of something else... well attempted to anyway :)

EDIT: just spotted I got a vote from @farntfar, cheers :giggle:

Last edited:
Congratulations, Teresa! Great story, and a well-deserved victory. In two days we get to do this all over again, so yay!

Wanted to wait till after the voting closed to do my proper thank yous:

Thank you Victoria Silverwolf, The Big Peat, johnnyjet, Ivy Moser, HareBrain, and Daysman for the mentions.
Also, a big thanks Phyrebrat, Bob Senior, LittleStar, HazelRah, Calliopenjo, and Peter V, for the votes! (I hope I didn't miss anyone.) I really appreciated the kind words that were posted about my entry.

I'm not sure if it's true of others who entered this month, but I don't believe I've ever tried anything in the Gothic genre, so I didn't expect much in the way of listings. It's one of the many great things about the Writing Challenges - a person gets to attempt genres, themes, styles they'd never have imagined trying, and they get to do so amongst other really nice, generous readers/writers. It was another good Challenge. :)

Congratulations, Teresa! And commiserations -- but also congratulations on so many votes! -- to CC and mosaix as senior and junior bridesmaid respectively.

And mist-shrouded ruined-castle thanks for the shortlisted nearly-but-not-quites TDZ and Aber, and many gothic ancestral rising-from-the-past thanks for the wonderful vote, Ursa!

It causes me Much Pain to see that I have missed not One, but Two of these Grand Literary Contests - which I must stress is Not My Fault, but that of the Intern Of Social Media, who sadly died of Heartbreak - or, perchance, a surfeit of Fried Cuisine - at his Computational Engine; and which event went Unnoticed until I thought to give him a Certificate For His Exemplary Devotion. I have now Taken Action to prevent such Dastardly Deeds in the Future; his Salary has been Cancelled until Such Time as he makes up for the Work which he has still Yet to Do, and his Relations, down to the Third Generation, have been Sentenced To Life-Long Servitude in the Treacle Mines as an Example To Other Such Villains. Such is the Only Proper Punishment for such Sheer Laxity Of Virtue.

At least I'm Still In Time to say

Congratulations, Teresa!