DISCUSSION -- April 2019 - 75 Word Challenge

Really diverse bunch of stories, and an entertaining group to read. @Luiglin, great choices.

Here are my lists:

Honorables:
Pedro Del Mar, Peter V, Alex The G & T, Ursa Major, TheDustyZebra

Shortlist:
Victoria Silverwolf, mosaix, Hugh, The Judge

Finalists:
HareBrain, Teresa Edgerton, Perpetual Man

I thought these three were particularly well written, and really enjoyed the Gothic vibe of each. Perp's haunting tale, though, most captured my imagination, so my vote went there.

Thank you to the folks who've listed, or voted for my story. Best of luck, all, in the voting these final two days, CC

So many excellent and evocative stories, I had trouble whittling it down to a long list and a short list:

Mr Orange
Hugh
johnnyjet
Ivy Moser
Peter V
M. Robert Gibson
The Judge

Victoria Silverwolf
Marvin
Luiglin
Dr_R_Dizzle
HareBrain
Alex The G and T
Perpetual Man

In the end, it came down to an almost tie between HB and Alex, but eventually I made up my mind and voted for Alex The G and T.

Despite the relatively low number of entries, I thought this one of the best collections I've seen for a while, with so many imaginative interpretations, and I was really pressed to draw up a short list. The ones I've jotted down are: Cat's Cradle, Luiglin, Mr Orange, Hugh, Culhwch, Teresa, and Phyrebrat.

My vote goes to Teresa for a beautifully written and evocative piece that perfectly captures the languorous gothic feel, very hard in 75 words where the temptation is to compress as much story in as possible.

Thanks very much to Hugh, Peat and Stable for voting for mine.

Here's my list of entries that caught my eye and/or tickled my fancy
Bringing Life to a Conversation - @Pedro Del Mar
Special Delvery - @nixie
recens oculi - @Mr Orange
The Transformation House - @Christopher Lee
If these walls could talk... - @Dr_R_Dizzle

And my vote went to...
Served Cold - @The Judge

P.S. Surely Christopher Lee has us all at a disadvantage with this genre?

Loads of great stuff here! Impressive to see you guys crafting the gothic feel in so few words, but still many ways.

Narrowing down, I have to mention Luiglin, Hugh, Teresa Edgerton and The Big Peat. My vote finally goes to Pedro Del Mar, made me chuckle and suppose I like my darkness fun...

Well, I can't list who hasn't voted, but I do remind everyone who hasn't done so yet that there are less than five hours left to read the stories and vote.

A short shortlist this month:

Christopher Lee -- The Transformation House
Ivy Moser -- For Notre Dame
Teresa Edgerton -- Voracious
Vaz -- Orphan Souls have no Song
Victoria Silverwolf -- A Warning to Wanderers
And my vote goes to Teresa for nailing the gothic feel so well.

Ivy-shrouded battlement thanks for the mentions/shortlistings Stable, Cathbad, CC and Teresa, and many dark, damp dungeons of doom thanks for the lovely vote MRG.

Actually, returning to the question of who might not have voted, I've just noticed that there are already more votes than there were entries. So it is possible that everyone who wrote a story has already voted. Plus a few public-spirited individuals who do not have stories in this month's challenge and voted anyway. (I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you!)

So, about now Chris usually comes along and tells us who hasn't voted.

Chris?
Well, I was considering it nicely filled out, but actually Dr_R_Dizzle, Mr Orange, Ursa major and Vaz don't appear to have voted yet, while Abernovo, Calliopenjo, David Evil Overlord, farntfar, HazelRah, Moonbat, pyan and Starbeast voted without a story of theirs to vote for (not identical this time to 'didn't submit.

As I had Nesacat and Morpheus round here after the Eastercon until Friday I didn't manage to do a neat short list (or thank those who'd commented on my offering) but I will give a slight explanation for mine, and thanks, after the vote is in.

Last edited: