DISCUSSION -- April 2019 - 75 Word Challenge

I think the reviews are a very loaded subject. I appreciate victoria’s vanilla reviews because they give a flavour rather than trying to explain a narrative.

I’m afraid with the other folks who have chosen to review in the past, I’ve found them somewhat ‘prescriptive’ (inasmuch as ‘this story means this) when it comes to understanding the story and often plain wrong; it’s quite clear when a reviewer doesn’t ‘get’ the story.

That’s fine for the author - as a learning tool - but when other readers use the record to give them insight, I think it’s inappropriate.

If you don’t understand the story, without the review you shouldn’t worry about it. I know my offerings are often oblique or obscure but I’d far rather they were voted or not-voted for on their own merits.

Personally I think the review should be opt-in. I’d far rather not have my stories reviewed.

pH
I guess I should have been more specific. The reviews have helped where I have missed references or wordplay due to my lack of knowledge - mostly just to appreciate the story better. My voting has always been based on my own read throughs and impressions.
Thank you for weighing in on this. Being a relatively new contributor, I look forward to any feedback I get. As you said, for me it is a learning tool.

I guess I should have been more specific. The reviews have helped where I have missed references or wordplay due to my lack of knowledge - mostly just to appreciate the story better. My voting has always been based on my own read throughs and impressions.
Thank you for weighing in on this. Being a relatively new contributor, I look forward to any feedback I get. As you said, for me it is a learning tool.

Oh no, don’t take my word for gospel or anything, I’m just sharing my opinion. If I don’t get a story or it’s about something I don’t enjoy, I write it off. That’s my purely subjective response to voting but I figure we all have our own preferences. ;)

I do often think tho that bearing in mind the nigh-impossible task of getting published professionally, I’m just being consistent with what ‘we’ would be subject to if we had subbed a story to an agent or PH.

My way isn’t the way, but it works for me, is consistent and avoids awkward ‘grey areas’.

Also: are you new? I thought you’d been here for ages, too :)

ph

Once again, you all blow me away with your clever interpretations on the theme! It is so fun the read everyone’s unique angle. And, once again, it was very hard to choose! Below is my list from my second read-through, and I know if I’d kept reading, I would have added more :)
Thanks Parson and Victoria Silverwolf for your wonderful reviews! And thank you Starbeast and nixie for the mentions! (Starbeast I didn’t get to read your story—I hope you can post it after voting!)

@Cat's Cradle From That Room a Ruin
@Victoria Silverwolf A Warning to Wanderers
@Luiglin Whispered sweet nothings
@Mr Orange recens oculi
@Christopher Lee The Transformation House
@Stable It Contains Legions
@chrispenycate The Lair of the Fugue
@Parson Sanctuary
@Culhwch Tyrant’s Last Stand
@HareBrain A PREMATURE END
@Teresa Edgerton Voracious

This batch below made me smile :)
@Pedro Del Mar Bringing Life to a Conversation
@nixie Special Delvery
@dannymcg I would do anything
@elvet The Lady of the Manor
@LittleStar The Roommate Revival –great BBT reference! :)
@Alex The G and T Transient Victory
@M. Robert Gibson All's Well That Ends Well
@Ursa major The Saint and Sinner “G”
@Bob Senior At The Flea Market
@The Big Peat Building Up To The Obvious Climax

VOTE: @Hugh “We’ve All Been There”
Love this one, Hugh! :)

@Phyrebrat .... I will try to avoid reviewing your stories after this. (My near 70 year old brain does not always remember what it's to do) and I am sorry if I've ever caused you offense and sent your stories down a line that you did not appreciate.

I rather enjoy reading the different interpretations of a story, and as long as there are a few people reviewing, instead of just one, I think that those who read the reviews are less likely to get sent down the wrong track, as it can be seen that the interpretations are just that, and may or may not match up with the author's intent.

Once again, you all blow me away with your clever interpretations on the theme! It is so fun the read everyone’s unique angle. And, once again, it was very hard to choose! Below is my list from my second read-through, and I know if I’d kept reading, I would have added more :)
Thanks Parson and Victoria Silverwolf for your wonderful reviews! And thank you Starbeast and nixie for the mentions! (Starbeast I didn’t get to read your story—I hope you can post it after voting!)

I haven't decided if I want to post my entry after the challenge, or save it for another challenge.

.....................I'll probably post it. Life is short. Thank you for asking to see it.

My favourite thing (kind of car-crash-TV) is when a new member correct the reviewer or says something a little snarky. I have to resist from typing ‘#awks’ :D

I know how popular the reviews are and often if the effort wasn’t made, the disc thread would be a fraction of its length. I’m not lobbying to stop them btw, and @Parson you’ve never offended me - and the same goes for me; if you feel I’m being an ingrate or ungracious, I apologise. I could have posted a bit more wisely when I mentioned Victoria.

Coming back to @Luiglin and The DL. Go for it, :p I think those kind of themed reviews are fun, because the thrust of them is humour not a synopsis or review.

Again, it’s not how I react to the reviews but how others might. As Teresa has said, there are lots of interpretations as to our stories, as is true for literature; I’d be disappointed to find out someone voted or didn’t-vote for my entry based on a review.

Reviews I can live with... persistent non-voters, however...

pH

Is always good, and impressive, to see the wide array of theme interpretations you all come up with. Makes voting fun and difficult.

Short list:-
Ivy moser
Cullwch
Teresa
Big Peat
TDZ

I may have struggled to write any heart into my own story this month, but it’s always what I look for when voting, so CC gets my vote this time around.

I didn’t get a chance to enter this one, but it’s been a fun month to read through everyone else’s takes on the theme.
To keep this short and sweet, I shall just quickly say that CC got my vote pretty much from the second I read it. Very much a stand out story for me.
As for the other entries, I apologise for no short list - I’m not sure I have enough brain power to make lists at this time... maybe after voting closes (if I get a chance) I shall revisit it :unsure: :giggle: