@Parson - Excellent Reviews
@Culhwch
@M. Robert Gibson
@Ursa major - VOTE
@Bob Senior
@The Big Peat
@TheDustyZebra

&
Well done to the rest, because I liked your stories too.

And now it is time to vote on Gothic structures. Ah, wait .... that didn't come out right. ..... Now it's time to vote on structural Gothic. hmmm, not there yet ..... ah, anyway ....

------------

Shortlisted

@nixie ... Special Delivery ... For a story where Laurel and Hardy meet Dracula

@Mr Orange ... Recens Oculi ... For a perfect adherence to theme and genre.

@mosaix ... Necessity Is the Mother of Invention ... For making Flying Buttresses erotic.

@Teresa Edgerton ... Voracious ... For a beautifully crafted piece of subtle Gothic Horror.

@M. Robert Gibson ... All's Well that Ends Well ... For a truly Gothic story with an hilarious ending.

-----

Voted for Teresa Edgerton, she's a lot like Tiger Woods of 10 years ago, when she's got her A game the rest of us are playing for second.

Below is my (Longish) Short List and Favorite:

The Family Must Survive – Cathbad

From That Room a Ruin - Cat's Cradle
The Lady of the Manor – elvet
Whispered Sweet Nothings – Luiglin
Special Delivery – nixie
The Transformation House - Christopher Lee
It Contains Legions – Stable
The Lair of the Fugue – chrispenycate
Sanctuary – Parson
Voracious - Teresa Edgerton
A Dock in Chatham – Phyrebrat
Lady of Stone – TheDustyZebra

Hey, @Parson! Just a quick note to let you know your vote hasn't shown up for Teresa. :)

(Also, The Masters was truly exciting this year.) CC

Below is my (Longish) Short List and Favorite:

The Family Must Survive – Cathbad

From That Room a Ruin - Cat's Cradle
The Lady of the Manor – elvet
Whispered Sweet Nothings – Luiglin
Special Delivery – nixie
The Transformation House - Christopher Lee
It Contains Legions – Stable
The Lair of the Fugue – chrispenycate
Sanctuary – Parson
Voracious - Teresa Edgerton
A Dock in Chatham – Phyrebrat
Lady of Stone – TheDustyZebra
Thank you, sir!

Hey, @Parson! Just a quick note to let you know your vote hasn't shown up for Teresa. :)

(Also, The Masters was truly exciting this year.) CC

Thanks for reminding me. .......... Yes, the Masters was really exciting. I was stunned by the reaction of the crowd after Tiger won. it felt over the top by half. I was happy to see Tiger make it all the way back. But that seemed just too much glory for a human.

M. Robert Gibson gets my vote this month.

I have to admit there were one or two stories that I didn’t understand this month even after a couple of read-throughs. But that’s not for the first time so it’s probably all down to my ageing brain.

Edit: this puts my post count at 6,666. That’s got to mean something.

I have to admit there were one or two stories that I didn’t understand this month even after a couple of read-throughs. But that’s not for the first time so it’s probably all down to my ageing brain.

Edit: this puts my post count at 6,666. That’s got to mean something.
That you're a devil of a poster?

There are always a few stories that go over my head. That’s why I don’t ever try to do reviews. And why I appreciate the reviews that are done. They often give me insight to what I have missed.

They often give me insight to what I have missed.

I think the reviews are a very loaded subject. I appreciate victoria’s vanilla reviews because they give a flavour rather than trying to explain a narrative.

I’m afraid with the other folks who have chosen to review in the past, I’ve found them somewhat ‘prescriptive’ (inasmuch as ‘this story means this) when it comes to understanding the story and often plain wrong; it’s quite clear when a reviewer doesn’t ‘get’ the story.

That’s fine for the author - as a learning tool - but when other readers use the record to give them insight, I think it’s inappropriate.

If you don’t understand the story, without the review you shouldn’t worry about it. I know my offerings are often oblique or obscure but I’d far rather they were voted or not-voted for on their own merits.

Personally I think the review should be opt-in. I’d far rather not have my stories reviewed.

pH