DISCUSSION -- April 2019 - 75 Word Challenge

Luiglin

Getting worse one day at a time
Supporter
Discussion thread for April 2019 - 75 Word Challenge

Theme - Structure
Genre - Gothic (and any of its sub-genres)

As Poe said...
- A short story must have a single mood and every sentence must build towards it.
although, as I prefer
- I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.

Congratulations Luiglin, for your March victory.

I'd like to participate this month. I missed everyone I know here.

First, welcome back, Starbeast! Happy to see that uniform. :)

I like your choices a lot, Luiglin. I've never tried Gothic before, I think. I couldn't sleep last night, and when that happens it's best if there's a 75 worder to write, so I am in. Should be an interesting month for stories, good luck all, CC

ps - sadly, there's no kitty living in the house in my story.

This will be HARD for me. I'm not sure I can even do it. I avoid nearly all forms of Gothic literature and it's trope portrayal of clergy as weak and almost always villainous, rubs me decidedly wrong.

This will be HARD for me. I'm not sure I can even do it. I avoid nearly all forms of Gothic literature and it's trope portrayal of clergy as weak and almost always villainous, rubs me decidedly wrong.
I agree with you about that, though I am not remotely an expert on gothic anything. My reference would be Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre. Indeed, I’m not even sure I met the brief with my entry.

I hope you can give it a go @Parson. I just it'd be something different. There are other sub-genres like space and apparently a new one called ecogothic!

But, Parson, you can twist the trope.

Think of the Gothic architecture that created some masterpieces among European churches. Dark and broody they may be, but they were also places of sanctuary, and provided alms; for every clergyman dedicated to villainy, there were surely many gentle and honest parish priests. Through the dark, comes a light.

And with that, I take my leave, barely believing I've just spoken up for an institution I've had so many issues with. o_O;)

gothicpainting.jpg

Browsing through the dusty shelves of a used book store in the Gothic Romance section , glancing at the blurbs on the back covers of these battered old paperbacks . . .

Cathbad: What desperate motive led the young heiress to commit the most unspeakable of crimes?

Cat's Cradle: The house was the only witness to the sighs and sorrows of those who dwelt within.

dannymcg: It was the last remaining link to an ill-remembered past, and it was dying.

Ian Fortytwo: Out of place and in a time unknown, the dazed traveler faced a ghastly chore.

elvet: Beauty becomes the Beast in the house of terror!