DISCUSSION -- APRIL 2019 300-word Writing Challenge (#33)

Abernovo, chrispenycate, L.L.Lotte, M. Robert Gibson, Pedro Del Mar and The Big Peat did not submit, but have voted.
Was my entry so forgettable? :cry:

Well, I'm impressed. I'm gonnu ave to seriously up my game if I wanna keep up with you lot. Jeez Louise.

The stories earning my vote are:

A Bountiful Catch by nixie

Balance by Luiglin

The Travels Of Sir Reginald Rigmarole, Part 94 by Dan Jones

Other stories that particularly caught my eye are:

Kolchak: The Night Stalker
"Samurai From the Sky" by Starbeast

STONE-BORN by Jo Zebedee

The Balance of Probability by mosaix

The Ant and the Giant by M. Robert Gibson

The Stone-Singer The Judge

Stacking Stones -- It’s Not Rocket Science by Ursa Major

And thanks for the mentions, Ian Fortytwo and Starbeast. You're too kind.

I don't know if I'm more than usually thick this month, but there were a lot of stories which had me scratching my head, and I'm sure I missed the point. A pity, as some of those were beautifully written and despite not understanding them, I still thought about putting them on my shortlist. Though quite who would get bumped from an already long shortlist in that case, I've no idea, especially as there were several stories I did understand which only just failed to get a mention.

And that long shortlist is:

Culhwch -- A Balanced Heart
Daysman -- At the Water's Edge
Jo Z -- STONE-BORN
johnnyjet -- Her Thoughts Were Set in Stone
LittleStar -- Of Salt and Stars
Perpetual Man -- Not Forgotten
Peter V -- Written in Stone
Rafellin -- Riders on the Storm
Shyrka -- Far From the Tree
Teresa -- Consecrated
Ursa -- Stacking Stones -- It's Not Rocket Science

The first two votes were easy as I picked them out on the very first read -- I loved Jo's fantasy and the comic edge to it was perfect, and Perp's wonderfully poignant tale of Stone Age folk grasping to be remembered was indeed unforgettable. The third vote took a while as I read and re-read several, wavering between them, but in the end I plumped for Cul's story of true control and discipline.

Many harmonies and siren songs for the lovely mentions/shortlistings TBP, Vaz, Peter, Starbeast, Shyrka, Dan, Phyrebrat, Mad Alice and Ashleyne, and bursting song-colours full of blessings thanks for the wonderful votes Stable, Hummus, Chris p, Daysman, johnnyjet, CC, and stealth-voting Perp!

Here are the full results of the Ursa jury, with the stories in posting order within the categories:

Honourable Mentions:
  • Written in Stone by Peter V
  • STONE-BORN by Jo Zebedee
  • Far From the Tree by Shyrka
Runners Up:
  • The Travels Of Sir Reginald Rigmarole, Part 94 by Dan Jones
  • A Vacant Planet by Parson
  • Her Thoughts Were Set in Stone by johnnyjet
Winners:
  • Sentience, Of All Things by Cory Swanson
  • The Balance of Probability by mosaix
  • The Stone-Singer by The Judge

Congratulations Jo, a fine tale. Commiserations to TJ, Perp & Nixie for a close run thing (sorry if I missed anyone).

Thanks again to all who voted for me (you know who you are) and all those who mentioned / listed my story (you also know who you are). I would list by name but I find it devilish difficult to do on my phone and I am still on my holiday and a week away from my trusty old PC.

For those done already with the 75 and still feeling that itch to write, there is a 100 anon challenge over in the workshop.

I hear a cervesa calling my name, so adios for now.

Peter

Congratulations, Jo Zebedee.

Huge thanks to Cathbad for the vote, and damn-near-the-same-size thank yous to Stable, Peter V, johnnyjet and The Judge for your honourable mentions.

I'll see tha lot o' ye for the next 300 worder.
Ciao.

Many congratulations on a hard-won victory!

Congratulations also to Perpetual Man and The Judge for splitting the silver, and to nixie and Peter V for sharing the bronze.

Much gratitude to those who thought my own offering worthy of a vote or mention. My motivation was simple: I wanted to try my hand at writing a sword-and-sorcery adventure.

Last edited: