Naming ideas for nomadic desert tribe?

Jester85

So I'm seeking ideas for what to call a nomadic desert people. Nothing really special about them like Fremen or anything, just people who've kind of disavowed advanced tech and gone back to a Bedouin-esque lifestyle.

I would like their name to have an Arabic flavor, though, if that's not too on the nose. It'd also accentuate their outsider status, as most place names and such in the Imperium are Latin-derived.

What I just did to generate an idea, I'll let you do instead. Go to an online English to Arabic translator and type in various words. Outcast, outsider, gypsy, nomad... whatever. Shift from what to what a couple times to make sure the word doesn't modify. See what the Romanized spelling is and how does it strike you. THEN, alter that word just slightly.

K2

Why Arab? Why not Australian natives? Or Kalahari tribes? There are lots of deserts in the world.

Also, you're going to have to be careful with Arab names, as a great many derive from the Quran or the Bible or the Torah. Unless that's what you're going for.

This is the perfect tribe for me!

FB_IMG_1654792641338.jpg

What does their language sound like? Do you have any music that you associate them with? I second google translate.

Otherwise, Rikoza if it's a mid-harsh language and Saforn if it's a soft one.

My apologies, I forgot you said Arabic.
I heard Fumaleh and Google translate doesn't know what to do with it but you might want to ask someone who speaks the language if it sounds like anything.

Um... just to point out that it's always worth checking the date of the opening post before spending time and effort replying to a short thread of this kind.

This thread was started in March 2019, so almost certainly Jester85 has either solved the problem of nomenclature or has given up on it, and either way s/he hasn't returned to the site since December 2019, so is unlikely to be picking up any new posts here in the near future, if ever.