Title and Source of Short Story

RHill

Probably in 70's, story in a Sci-fi anthology. Plot involved family sending child(ren) off to be inoculated with every known disease. Theory being they would then be immune to everything the rest of their lives ... if they survived.

Pertinent to today's headline story of "chickenpox parties" where anti-vaxxer parents deliberately infecting/spreading the disease from fear of vaccines.

Pertinent to today's headline story of "chickenpox parties" where anti-vaxxer parents deliberately infecting/spreading the disease from fear of vaccines.

People did this before there was a vaccine for chickenpox as well, I remember my mother talking about it.

I remember actually going to chicken pox parties as a kid (prior to the chicken pox vaccine) Whoever had chicken pox would deliberately touch everyone else to get everyone infected, and we licked the same lollipop. I never had chicken pox symptoms, but I've had a titer as an adult which shows I have strong immunity. My mom says when she was young people had measles parties for kids. They wanted to get the disease while young and healthy to avoid the worst of the complications.

Anyway, the story does sound interesting and relevant. I don't recognize it though.

Back