(Found) Packing case flies to Mars

Sporpo

Hello, I'm looking for a sci-fi short novel which I read in the late 1960's or early 1970's. The plot is a boy discovers an anti-gravity method and builds an airtight packing case and takes him and his girlfriend to Mars. Totally daft, I know.
Only touch I can remember is - he has an air-pump to keep the thing pressurised on Mars (it assumes the atmosphere is breathable but just very thin). It develops a squeak and his girlfriend lubricates it by rubbing it on her nose and says something to the effect of it being an advantage of having greasy skin!
I really just want to find it to avoid being accused of smoking something weird at an early age.
I think they break down on Mars but get rescued by another group of explorers using plans they left behind, but I may be getting confused with another story for that part...

It would have been a library book, probably from the childrens section...

My Grandfather used to advocate that a fingertip full of the fine oil from just inside the crease between the outside of the nostril, just above the lip, is the perfect light lubricant for the sectional joints of a fishing rod. I'm not making this up.

Good luck with your query, Sporpo. I've seen stranger; but you have me stumped.
No worries. Someone always comes along...

Looking through the Danny Dunn books to see if you might have mixed a couple of them up, but I don't see it off the top of my head.

James Blish
Welcome to Mars

Welcome to SFF Chronicles, our chewing fat is most excellent.

Last edited:

Back