Perry A. Chapdelaine

Harpo

Getting away with it
Today I acquired 28 secondhand scifi books (Aldiss, Moorcock, Herbert, et cetera) and one was by an unfamiliar name - Perry A. Chapdelaine.
A quick search tells me he has never been mentioned on the Chrons, and neither has the book Swampworld West.

Has anyone read anything by him?

image.jpeg

Looks a bit Fossesque. No mention of the artist's name though.

Edit: a bit of searching tells me the original 1974 edition had artwork by Josh Kirby, but this is a later version with different art (by an unidentified somebody similar to Chris Foss)

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of him, but I will be very interested to read what you make of the book.

@Harpo it faintly rings a bell with me. Have you read it yet?
Is there anything about some of the native aliens being addicted to sugar? They hang around coffee shops begging off Terrans because sugar gives them like a heroin rush?.
Also the chief protagonist is newly arrived and is an expert and deadly 'needle beamer'?

Update; After looking through my ebook files I've found a sci fi short story by him 'Culture Shock', it looks like I read it just over four years ago but I can't recall anything about it.
Maybe tonight's light reading.

Last edited:
Wow, that cover is awesome!
Might need to give it a shot, it looks to be down my street.

Today I acquired 28 secondhand scifi books (Aldiss, Moorcock, Herbert, et cetera) and one was by an unfamiliar name - Perry A. Chapdelaine.
A quick search tells me he has never been mentioned on the Chrons, and neither has the book Swampworld West.

Has anyone read anything by him?
Not read Chapdelaine - but I like the look of it. The cover does look Fossesque, but I think it might be Jim Burns.

The other reason for my post is... 28 book haul!? Cracking. You need to take a picture and post in, well, the 'book hauls' thread.