Spotting old books and magazines and dummy newspapers in TV, movies and old photos

Here's a Macmillan reprint of Hardy's Jude the Obscure (New Wessex Edition, 1975 it seems). See next posting.
1656725812947.png

Last edited:
This is a scene from an early Morse, perhaps “Last Seen Wearing.”
34B2B779-EE87-48B4-AE52-D31B06DC1F5A.jpeg

Ok, spotting goggles on, boys and girls. Ozark, season 2 episode 8 watched last night. A scene in an antiquarian bookstore. The scene revolved around the characters spotting a first edition of Thomas Wolfe's Look Homeward Angel:

1657057297653.jpeg

But what else can we spot?

1657057370974.jpeg

1657057428437.jpeg

1657057397545.jpeg

In the initial set of four photos, in the third photo, the book at the top right is Hans Brinker or The Silver Skates (Scribner 1916):

1657067828952.png

In the most recent picture, top shelf, one can see The Man in Me: Versions of the Male Experience edited by Firestone (1992):

1657068451097.png

First picture, far left on shelf - is that Almost an Englishman by Scudder Jr?

And I think I've found the large tan book on the top shelf of the second picture:

1657069797928.png
1657069832208.png

Jacob's Room, by Virginia Woolf. Hard to believe a genuine first edition of this would be in the little store. It's "worth" tens of thousands... see here.
The film prop is probably a mock up of a first edition, I suppose. It's interesting to see the detail that went into staging the shop - or maybe its a real shop, who knows.

I've been figuring this is a real book store somewhere, but some of the books could well be props.

Joseph Epstein has written enjoyable essays. I suppose his "Why Madame Bovary Couldn't Make Love ithe Concrete" is one of his better known ones (in Plausible Prejudices?). I have all of the issues of The American Scholar that he edited -- about 25 years' worth.

One of my profs in Ashland, Oregon, was, as I recall, a collector of books by the Bloomsbury group. I wasn't then and am not now interested in them (though I did read a couple of Woolf's novels), but I think he may have had his Hogarth Press (?) books on shelves in his office.

I've been figuring this is a real book store somewhere, but some of the books could well be props.
Yes, this makes sense.

One of my profs in Ashland, Oregon, was, as I recall, a collector of books by the Bloomsbury group. I wasn't then and am not now interested in them
Me neither. In fact, I loathe Woolf. Load of old rubbish! :sick:

Yes, this makes sense.

Me neither. In fact, I loathe Woolf. Load of old rubbish! :sick:
In the used bookstores which I frequent, the valuable first editions are placed so as to avoid casual fondling. These must be props. Impressive, nerdy detail.