Spotting old books and magazines and dummy newspapers in TV, movies and old photos

C.JPG

How fast can you say "Squall Sinks Sloop in Sound"?

D.JPG

Can't make it out! There's a two-line headline whose second line is "Earth's Curvature" -- but I can't make out the first line. I put the DVD back in & looked up the image & still couldn't tell. It's at 16:36 if someone else wants to try.

chase 1946.JPG

The fun here is the bland "Two-way Radio for Taxi Cabs" headline in company with the other headlines. ("Tax Boost Foreseen" isn't as dramatic as the crime ones, but is plausible as front-page stuff.) Source is The Chase, a 1946 movie based again on a Cornell Woolrich story, though this time without "black" in the title, in contrast to many CW stories. I'm thinking that the next black tomcat we get might be named Cornell.

[...]Source is The Chase, a 1946 movie based again on a Cornell Woolrich story, though this time without "black" in the title, in contrast to many CW stories. I'm thinking that the next black tomcat we get might be named Cornell.

Tangentially, several years ago I was pretty sure I knew who the bad guy was in a mystery/thriller I was reading because his last name was Woolrich.

How have I missed this thread?!

A few years ago, at the height of my obsessive compulsive buying of pre ISBN Penguin paperbacks - ( I currently have around 750 of the things) I kept spotting them in movies. These are the only two I can find now.

7791915748_44fef8d555_c.jpg

Witchcraft starring David Hasselhoff. I want to know what's in the Caribbean Bargain Book
It was terrible. Spotting these books was the highlight of the film.
9887023013_60a3e583fe_b.jpg

A Penguin Classic, circa 1973, in The Legend of Hell House to show how boffinish the characters are.

I hope great things from your involvement in this thread, JunkMonkey!

I see M. Scott Peck's People of the Lie in the upper photo's lower shelf -- a book I read back in Sept. of 1984.
1625604463166.png

The lady on the bed is probably reading Flaubert's Sentimental Education in Penguin Classics. I'm very fond of the Penguin Classics of that former design, which ended in the 1980s, I think.

1625604373618.png

The dummy book that's prominent in Hitchcock's Suspicion (1941) is believable, but the shelf of mystery books isn't very convincing.
Suspicion 1.JPG

Suspicion 2.JPG

I took a picture of the folded newspaper from The Wrong Man, one of Hitchcock's less well-known movies (but good), but decided not to "publish" it here, in respect for people who haven't seen the movie. But I wanted to share this lovely noir image.
Noir bridge The Wrong Man.JPG

Some shots from Stranger on the Third Floor (1940), allegedly the proto-American film noir. It's pretty good.
Stranger on the Third Floor 1.JPG

Stranger on the Third Floor 2.JPG

Stranger on the Third Floor 3.JPG

Stranger on the Third Floor 4.JPG

The second through fourth images are from the dream sequence. How about the print size in the last frame! I wouldn't even have a guess as to what "point" that is.

Our old friend Mercury X-Rays is there in Call Northside 777, a really solid 1948 movie with lots of great Chicago location photography.
Call Northside 777.JPG

zola.jpg

This image is from Sunshine Hotel, a documentary about one of the few remaining Bowery flophouses in New York. The resident is showing some paperbacks he owns to the documentary maker(s). Other titles included The Portrait of a Lady, a Jack London novel (either The Call of the Wild or White Fang), and Far from the Madding Crowd.

The lawyer in The Last Wave, played by Richard Chamberlain, is frustrated by his minister father, who, he says, "explained away" mystery in the church. The father appears to serve in the Anglican Church of Australia, to judge by his garb and the architecture of his church, etc. In one scene we glimpse the minister's study. Is that a Buddhist bust? I can't make out the titles of any of those books, but a decent guess is that the white book behind Chamberlain's shoulder is A Reading of St. Luke's Gospel by D. W. Cleverley Ford.
last wave books.JPG

Deadline was a 1959-1961 television stories. As far as I know, all of the teleplays were half-hour dramas. I've begun watching them, and would say they are not forgotten gems. But, anyway, I'll post images from the bookstore scene from the third teleplay, "Pick-Up" or "The Pick-Up." The setting is supposed to be Cheyenne, Wyo. We see Hannah Arendt's The Origins of Totalitarianism.
pick-up from deadline 1.JPG
s-l300.jpg