Spotting old books and magazines and dummy newspapers in TV, movies and old photos

See #19 above -- here's the 110,000 Chinese Living in Trees headline again -- this time, from Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers:
110,000.JPG

From an airport scene in Get Smart (again) -- fourth season -- "The Not So Great Escape," Part One -- a paperback rack again:

get smart book.jpg

Here's a newspaper from the opening teleplay of the 5th and final season of Get Smart. To me, it looks like the guy in the phone booth in the left picture is not Max.
get smart 5th season opener.JPG

From a fan-made Outer Limits episode using a deservedly forgotten 1958 movie The Hideous Sun Demon. The best part of the movie, for me, was at the very end, with glimpses of oil pumps -- presumably filmed cheaply, on location in an LA suburb. Though I don't remember it, at about the same time, when I was a wee tyke, and my family lived in Coalinga, California, my dad and I used to walk over to "see the pumps" at the end of our street. The movie isn't much like an OL show, notably lacking the "awe and mystery" it could conjure up, and featuring a sequence with the leading man picking up a woman at a bar and taking her to the beach that is nothing like an Outer Limits passage.
sun.JPG

Last edited:
I appreciate that the holy grail here is to find books in the background, if possible, which one just happens to catch onscreen. I've so far failed to do this - its my fervent wish to see something such as Extollager has posted, and I will keep my eye out.

In the interim, as a reasonable attempt to play the game I've found a few books in movies that characters happen to be reading. This is not nearly as cool, as its more obvious to spot and the books are probably placed with some thought, but it's perhaps better than nothing.

Here we have Donnie Drarko's mum reading Stephen King's It in her backyard:

Next we have Bill Bailey's character (I forget his name) in Hot Fuzz, reading Iain M. Banks' State of the Art:

And finally we have the young lad on the boat at the beginning of Peter Jackson's King Kong, and he's reading Conrad's Heart of Darkness:

"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban." When Harry first arrives at the Leaky Cauldron, the camera pans past a wizard directing his tea spoon with one hand and holding "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking in the other.

Azkaban.jpg

Makes me wonder, why would a wizard be reading a mere muggle like Hawking?!? :lol:

That wizard also appears to be the lead singer of The Stone Roses. I bumped ino him in Notting Hill once.
You're correct, it's Ian Brown. Apparently Alphonso Cuarón, the director of HP-PoA is a friend of his (Ian Brown's) partner, and offered him a cameo in the film.

From an entertaining 1930 Laurel and Hardy short, "Night Owls" -- that's some proofreader that newspaper had:

Laurel & Hardy newspaper.JPG