Spotting old books and magazines and dummy newspapers in TV, movies and old photos

In this second image, we see Herbert Luethy's France Against Herself and Oskar Seyffert's A Dictionary of Classical Antiquities. I have a copy of that very edition of the book about Plato. I might be able to find an image online. Otherwise I can take a picture of my own copy.

pick-up from deadline 2.JPG
md30845576086.jpg
md30235057929.jpg

Last edited:
This third image shows a paperback spinner rack with at least one book we have seen on this thread, The Viking by Edison Marshall, which appeared in the Twilight Zone's initial teleplay, "Where Is Everybody?" (see postings from 25 April 2021). I believe both the TZ teleplay and this Deadline show were broadcast in 1959.
pick-up from deadline 3.JPG

Last edited:
Finally, this image from the Deadline teleplay shows the newspaper displayed at the story's end. I thought the newspaper was very unusual for TV and movies in that the headlines were so specific to actual persons and topics of the day!
pick-up from deadline 4.JPG

In the second-season Fugitive teleplay "Escape into Black," Kimble suffers partial amnesia. He goes to a public library to find out about his trial. We see the front page (and Kimble's injured hands). He turns the page. He turns that page, and we see the same page again.
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Deadline was a 1959-1961 television stories. As far as I know, all of the teleplays were half-hour dramas. I've begun watching them, and would say they are not forgotten gems. But, anyway, I'll post images from the bookstore scene from the third teleplay, "Pick-Up" or "The Pick-Up." The setting is supposed to be Cheyenne, Wyo. We see Hannah Arendt's The Origins of Totalitarianism.
View attachment 82929
s-l300.jpg
Gotta love Arendt!

In its third season, The Fugitive had a good two-parter called "Landscape with Running Figures." We get a glimpse of some paperbacks in the first part (16 Nov. 1965 air date):
landscape .JPG

Honeymoon in Hell is a collection of stories by Fredric Brown.
md31025484015.jpg

Twilight of Honor by Al Dewlen is a "courtroom drama about the sensational trial of a vicious murderer."
md30887939608.jpg

The Knife by Theron Wright:

9780451015990-us.jpg

I don't know what the middle book is.

Last edited:
0FD1AA8F-2450-4C0D-B234-B20BBE1BC32D.jpeg
Familiar headlines here, in a third season Fugitive teleplay, “An Apple a Day.”

Could the middle one be the back of one of the other two?
Hmm -- I suppose it could, but my guess is that the background for this scene in the filming was arranged by people who wouldn't have done that deliberately. Still, someone could've slipped up, or even decided to play a very unobtrusive semi-prank.

From another third season Fugitive teleplay, “Where the Wind Blows.” Note recurrence of “Many Candidates” headline in paper’s center again.
A12AE3FA-9573-4DF6-B2D8-4B35596FECAD.jpeg

A novel titled 2071 appears in the "Minute of Silence" episode of Continuum. The protagonist refers to it as science fiction. Does such a book actually exist? Or, does the episode use a fake book as a prop?

continuum.png

An internet search shows that there is a book called "2071: The World We Leave Our Grandchildren" but it is a climate science book with a bright green cover.

This book has some android face on the front cover and so looks very different. Also a different author, though I can't quite read it - Dr. ***** ******

There are also two more books underneath but one title is obscured and I can't read the other.

But you can't tell what any of the books are! If there's some teasing going on here, it's worst for the identify-the-books nuts!

The “Mercury” headline appeared in #137 above. Now, however, I don’t see any other pictures thereof, other than this one, from a Three Stooges short, “Up in Daisy’s Penthouse.” I think when I wrote #137 I knew that I had seen the headline elsewhere (not in the Stooges, btw); but hadn't posted it here after all.

IMG_5491.jpg