Spotting old books and magazines and dummy newspapers in TV, movies and old photos

FB_IMG_1705111633848.jpg

Somehow, Radar is reading a comic from 1968 - which is 15-18 years after the Korean War...

I know he could tell when choppers were coming a little in advance of anyone else, but that really is something!

I've got that one... all 18 issues. My favorite of the bunch was No. 4 because of Thor, which was my favorite Marvel comic.

Just spotted Daniel Osbourne in Coronation Street, reading the detective novel Tokyo Express, by Seichō Matsumoto. Funnily enough, I very nearly bought this a couple of weeks ago - it looks great. I may now have to pick it up sometime.

1706170169333.png

1706170339086.png

This image is from an adaptation of Sayers's Strong Poison. The book is I think Grierson's Metaphysical Poetry Donne to Butler.
Strong Poison book Harriet 1.JPG

Strong Poison book Harriet 2.JPG

Harriet Vane (played by Harriet Walter) is reading it while in prison. That seems like a good choice. The poems would often need some concentration to figure out but they were short and they worked with public knowledge, that is, what made them difficult wasn't that the key belongs to the private world of the poet as, I suppose, some of Blake's and a lot of Modern poetry do.

This image is from a TV adaptation of Have His Carcase, another of Sayers's mysteries. The very small bottle of Nicholson's gin was estimated as 1930s-1940s. October 14 was a Wednesday in 1925. (The story is supposed to be happening in the 1920s, I believe.)
Have His Carcase image episode 1 newspaper in shop.JPG
59009_0.jpg

Harriet Vane (played by Harriet Walter) is reading it while in prison. That seems like a good choice. The poems would often need some concentration to figure out but they were short and they worked with public knowledge, that is, what made them difficult wasn't that the key belongs to the private world of the poet as, I suppose, some of Blake's and a lot of Modern poetry do.
Incidentally, Donne was Lord Peter Wimsy's favourite poet. Nice touch by the series writers, because it's not actually mentioned that Harriet was reading Donne in prison.

This image is from a TV adaptation of Have His Carcase, another of Sayers's mysteries. The very small bottle of Nicholson's gin was estimated as 1930s-1940s. October 14 was a Wednesday in 1925. (The story is supposed to be happening in the 1920s, I believe.)
View attachment 114559
59009_0.jpg
The date and the gin may be accurate, but why should a newspaper printed on October 13/14 have a weather forecast for Easter Sunday and Monday?

IMG_3114.jpeg
Newspapers and an Almanac set the stage for the Hallmark Channel’s time travel series The Way Home which I am currently binge watching:

IMG_3094.jpeg
IMG_3096.jpeg
IMG_3098.jpeg
IMG_3100.jpeg
IMG_3105.jpeg
IMG_3108.jpeg
IMG_3112.jpeg