The Orville - 2.11: Lasting Impressions

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
An episode perfectly balanced between romance and comedy.

duet02.jpg

Gordon falling in love with a simulation of a woman from more than 400 years ago was moving. I would not have thought that the normally frivolous Gordon would recognize the wisdom of Kelly’s advice and realize that the Laura he could create would not be the Laura who had created herself.

smokebreak.jpg

Bortus and Klyden becoming almost instantly addicted to nicotine had several laugh-out-loud moments. The writers have a real feel for being hooked on cigarettes and what it takes to kick the habit. Klyden said it best after had eaten one cigarette and lit up a second.

“I feel as if I have been standing my entire life, and I just sat down.”

THREE WEEKS UNTIL THE,NEXT EPISODE! :mad:

At first, I thought this was the very definition of what they call a filler episode, but actually it was a serious take on addiction and a deep take on human relationships.

I'm glad to say that the jokes are improving again.

"Do you think he's overworking?"
"Gordon? No!"

I'm surprised that Holodeck-fantasy-addiction isn't a more common thing. The parallels with video game playing seem identical. Gordon is wrong though, it doesn't matter if you play a game in a Jane Austen fantasy world or a Star Trek one, or if you take part in Amateur Dramatics, or Renaissance Fairs or fight Civil War battles, or even read books, you do that knowing it isn't real and cross a big line when you do.

I'm surprised that Holodeck-fantasy-addiction isn't a more common thing. The parallels with video game playing seem identical. Gordon is wrong though, it doesn't matter if you play a game in a Jane Austen fantasy world or a Star Trek one, or if you take part in Amateur Dramatics, or Renaissance Fairs or fight Civil War battles, or even read books, you do that knowing it isn't real and cross a big line when you do
Gordon's circle of friends did their best bring him back to reality.
When Gordon argued that Laura is as real as Isaac, Talla noted that Isaac, unlike Laura, is "self-aware." When Gordon favorably compared his dating a "sales rep at Macy's" to Ed's "banging a Krill," Ed drew the distinction.
"She lied to me. I didn't lie to myself. There's a difference."
Gordon could have kept tinkering with the program, perhaps making himself the boyfriend who encouraged Laura's musical career; but he saw the inherent contradiction in creating reality.