The Expanse - 3.06: Immolation

f1CU4w2.jpg

The moment you realise you have been fooled.

Spectacular episode. The moment it started it was rock and roll. I couldn't stop in first ten minutes to write anything as the situation in the Jupiter system had became so tensile. I can easily see the people binging through these scenes as they don't let go for a moments notice.

What I cannot understand is that why Holsen's team just stood there, watching a salvo after another launching to the sky and nobody did anything. Alex tried to act, but even the ground Anti-Air fire with the point-defence-guns spitting out three thousand rounds per minute seemed waste of good ammunition. It was almost as if you couldn't shoot into the barrel of the gun and try to stop the damn thing by contaminating the facility rather then let Erringwright to do whatever he wanted.

Bobby had that rabbit-in-the-headlight syndrome on her face. Maybe she realised that she's powerless against the protomolecule beasts. Maybe she understood that she was going to need the bullets for the fight inside. After all Dr Strickland ordered everyone to fight for the last man, even though the wisest thing might have been to hide and try to follow the executives evacuation protocols. Why to put up a fight and believe the propaganda?

The power armour is powerful, but it's not an invulnerability shield. She did the right thing by choosing to save her ammo and choosing the ground where to fight, but when you are fighting someone who lives naturally in the space, it's not easy. Especially when protomoleculanators regenerate all damage within moments. I cannot fault any of them for their actions. Even Mao did what he thought would the best.

What else Dr Strickland could have done when one thing had led to another and all he could see was the dollar bills and his research. I cried on seeing how beaten Bobby got from the fight and then again The Belt acting on Naomi's request. The Expanse is such a good series and it's shame that SyFy's Executives thought it's not worth the money, when in fact they brought us another true grum like the famous BattleStar Galactica.

PKnauKf.jpg

9tefdE4.jpg

ia ia cthulhu fhtagn

Dang! I want one of those Martian space armor suits.
Best lines of the episode:
  1. (Bobbie to Avasarala) Ma'am, for the first time in your life, please just shut your damn mouth,
  2. (Amos to Dr. Strickland) I am that guy.

Part of me thinks that the SG knew all along that Errinwright was up to stuff and that the reveal by Anna only forced his hand. But then maybe I'm giving ol' bobble-head too much credit. It matters little save to realise that the SG is almost as much of an a$$hole as Errinwright. At least Avasarala is off the hook, assuming the SG drops the charges (although if he is being as sneaky as I might believe he might try to take her out of the picture as well?)

Loved the Amos moments (as usual), although the 'I am that guy' line was visible from Venus.

Talking about Venus that was a cracking way to end the episode. With so much resource spent on the war between Earth and Mars, what is there left to defend themselves if need be? I'm assuming that the next episode will see a cessation of the conflict whilst they figure out what the fudge to do about the asteroid sized brain that just took off! Mind you, what can they do apart from the Avasarala for first contact - Step One: Find God.

Talking about Venus that was a cracking way to end the episode. With so much resource spent on the war between Earth and Mars, what is there left to defend themselves if need be? I'm assuming that the next episode will see a cessation of the conflict whilst they figure out what the fudge to do about the asteroid sized brain that just took off! Mind you, what can they do apart from the Avasarala for first contact - Step One: Find God.
I imagine the A.S.S .(Alien Space Ship) Protomolecule to be helmed by Julie Mao, with Miller as her Number One. Will the surviving solar system humans encounter this giant jellyfish at some farpoint? :D

I imagine the A.S.S .(Alien Space Ship) Protomolecule to be helmed by Julie Mao, with Miller as her Number One. Will the surviving solar system humans encounter this giant jellyfish at some farpoint? :D

If we were to get to see more episodes (not a certaintly for sure) you would find that you were maybe half right. I won't say more to avoid spoilers. As far as this episode is concerned, it brought us right to the end of the second book. But it also introduced the character of Anna at a much earlier point than the books. FWIW.

Will the surviving solar system humans encounter this giant jellyfish at some farpoint?

Look at this. Panspermia brought the octopuses on Earth. Maybe there are big A.S.S things really out there.

The peer-reviewed journal Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology recently published a most remarkable scientific paper. With 33 authors from a wide range of reputable universities and research institutes, the paper makes a seemingly incredible claim. A claim that if true, would have the most profound consequences for our understanding of the universe. Life, the paper argues, did not originate on the planet Earth.
Viruses, ET and the octopus from space: the return of | Cosmos