SyFy Cancels The Expanse, Amazon Picks Up

Netflix is out, looks like Amazon is the last remaining hope:

U8kuHOK.png

Contact Us : Amazon Studios

It would be a good pick for the Amazon. Jeff Bezon might even like the idea if he can sneak in some Blue Origin stuff to promote his company against Musk. All I know that in the great public point-of-view Amazon haven't had anything like this before. It will interesting to see if they're interested in the space based GoT as I claimed the Expanse to be one of the recent spoiler tagged reviews. I don't know how Amazon measures success as all we know is that a great many authors support this particular program. Should we do a joint letter to the AMZ producers and wish this to be taken by them as they gave a home to the Top Gear and some other cancelled series?

Would individual emails be better? As in greater volume?

I'm gathering Netflix doesn't want it because Amazon has the rights to stream the first three seasons in the US, is that right? If so, how on Earth is that going to play out if Amazon does pick it up, because Netflix has the rights here in the UK . . .

Reactions: ctg
Would individual emails be better? As in greater volume?

I'm gathering Netflix doesn't want it because Amazon has the rights to stream the first three seasons in the US, is that right? If so, how on Earth is that going to play out if Amazon does pick it up, because Netflix has the rights here in the UK . . .

It doesn't anyone is picking up this series for continuation . :(

I shared the info about the end of SyFy's production of The Expanse with the group discussing the books on Goodreads. Barely a ripple. I guess the dedicated readers aren't in the same frame of mind as the people who watch the series on cable.

In many ways, The Expanse was not a good fit for Syfy. It was introduced alongside other series like The Magicians in an effort by Syfy to recapture the passionate audience it had for Battlestar Galactica some years ago. But after a rash of ambitious series canceled after only a few episodes, viewers may have looked on Syfy's commitment skeptically. The target audience of The Expanse is heavily inclined toward digital consumption. Since Syfy ties much of its streaming to cable providers, it had no chance to entice cord cutters—and the network didn't have the streaming rights anyway.

The mismatch was evidenced by the fact that the show has lately managed only a paltry 400,000 linear viewers in the critical 18-49 demo, despite widespread acclaim. The series' production company, Alcon Entertainment, clearly believes it has something of value that might be a better fit elsewhere, as its co-founders suggested in a public statement that it will attempt take the intellectual property elsewhere.
Syfy has canceled The Expanse, but its producers want to find it a new home

Compared to the TWD or GoT, 400k viewers isn't clearly enough. SyFy saw this series as the BSG, but the great audience never lit up.

Last edited:
There are rumours of a meeting happening between Alcon and Amazon. Plus the pre-orders for the blu-ray of season 3 have it at No 21 in Amazon.com's charts at the moment. Maybe they'll take notice.

Fingers crossed.

Syfy has canceled The Expanse, but its producers want to find it a new home

Compared to the TWD or GoT, 400k viewers isn't clearly enough. SyFy saw this series as the BSG, but the great audience never lit up.

I guess the problem is that no-one really knows about it. Certainly over here in the UK there is zero advertisement, it just dropped onto Netflix (months after the show airs in the US) without any real advertising. What it needs is for someone not only to pick it up but also but some money into actually telling people it's there! I've converted as many of my friends as I could but I'm starting to regret it with this situation...

I guess the problem is that no-one really knows about it. Certainly over here in the UK there is zero advertisement, it just dropped onto Netflix (months after the show airs in the US) without any real advertising. What it needs is for someone not only to pick it up but also but some money into actually telling people it's there! I've converted as many of my friends as I could but I'm starting to regret it with this situation...

Well, I watched very closely the talks that went in the gaming community at Twitch during the first and second season. I know that a lot of nerds went and slacked the story instead of them admiring the beauty that was hidden with in it. At this season I haven't really followed those talks but I do know that even though they are aloud, there are probably far larger audience then 400 000 people that made their choices to watch when SyFy aired the series. To them the money model is in the advertisement and if there's not enough of people, plus no reruns to say, they are losing things no matter what geeks would like. Outside the SF, gaming communities and the nerds The Expanse is so unknown that you can hardly bring it up on the conversation.

I think there is more behind the story as the genre hasn't had such golden years, I'm scared to say a golden decade for a long time. As things always change maybe there will be more terrestrial drama on the small screen. Maybe we will have a time of historical dramas. Who knows but I do know that the greater public isn't aware because the geekdom hasn't made this a rave series. Until now.

If we believe in the hype alone maybe this a calculated move and AMZ will be delighted to pick it up. Still, even if they don't, I and most probably many other people will compare future products against the story and realism in this series. I would love if they'd get an Emmy or a couple of Golden Globe's for their effort, because the Expanse is truly an unique gem among the sudden surge of space pr0n.

Had a response from Amazon:

Hello Steve,

This is Nick from the Amazon Studios Customer Support Team. I hope you are having a great day!

I absolutely agree that The Expanse is a great show that deserves to see more screen time. Unfortunately I can not make any guarantees on the behalf of Amazon Studios, but I will make certain this gets to the appropriate department for consideration.

Please feel free to continue to send us your feedback and suggestions because this kind of feedback is invaluable to us. It helps us continue to improve our program.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Nicholas F.

Amazon.com

Toes, fingers, and anything else I can find!

I am considering getting AMZ Prime. To the UK members it's £7.99/month. Netflix is a bit cheaper at £5.99/month.

I am considering getting AMZ Prime. To the UK members it's £7.99/month. Netflix is a bit cheaper at £5.99/month.
Plus you get all that free two day shipping. Just saying......