The Expanse - Should have its own Chrons Forum

Frankly I've seen numbers dropping and people forgetting when the series has got their own forum. I don't recommend it. It's a lot of work.

What numbers? I am expecting when on Amazon it will finally have the exposure it needs.
Lord! It is the best SF space opera I have ever seen on TV.

What numbers?

People, who read this stuff and those, who are willing to participate in the conversation. It happened for example with 12 Monkeys. The main thread was over here, and then in on the following days it got split, no readers, no commentators. Over here, in the one or two threads, it's much better and people can see easily that it has been successful. The only problem that they need solve, if they want to participate into the conversation is how to use the spoiler button.

Individual episodic threads should be done from the very beginning of the series. Not after several seasons. And it is a lot of work to make them, try to make the reviews and then try to keep the conversation going.

In this single thread the Expanse can grow easier than in the individual threads, and the chances are, it will gain more attention. If you don't believe me, browse those individual forums dedicated to the series and you'll see the evidence of how these conversations die.

People, who read this stuff and those, who are willing to participate in the conversation. It happened for example with 12 Monkeys. The main thread was over here, and then in on the following days it got split, no readers, no commentators. Over here, in the one or two threads, it's much better and people can see easily that it has been successful. The only problem that they need solve, if they want to participate into the conversation is how to use the spoiler button.

Individual episodic threads should be done from the very beginning of the series. Not after several seasons. And it is a lot of work to make them, try to make the reviews and then try to keep the conversation going.

In this single thread the Expanse can grow easier than in the individual threads, and the chances are, it will gain more attention. If you don't believe me, browse those individual forums dedicated to the series and you'll see the evidence of how these conversations die.

OK by me. I like seeing discussions of the show. I am a bit surprised that among science fiction readers, contrasted to viewers of movies and TV (of which there seems a much bigger number) there is not more discussion of The Expanse. (I mean does make its appearance here, but on other SF forums, seems missing.)
Even the 2018 Hugos , bewilderingly , left The Expanse off the Hugo ballot.
As I have said before the show is the best realization of classic space opera , as it developed in the 40s , 50s and 60s that I have ever seen. I know better science fiction , on the page, but this is a show I have been waiting to see for 60 years now!

. I am a bit surprised that among science fiction readers, contrasted to viewers of movies and TV (of which there seems a much bigger number) there is not more discussion of The Expanse. (I mean does make its appearance here, but on other SF forums, seems missing.)

Well, SFFChronicles isn't as big as it used to be and most of the people are afraid talking, when they see Authors or then it's something else. What other forums do you mean?

Well, SFFChronicles isn't as big as it used to be and most of the people are afraid talking, when they see Authors or then it's something else. What other forums do you mean?
File 770 , can't figure if it's been talked about there, Galactic Journey is Expanse friendly but the worldline structure keeps it out of discussion, can't figure if its been of SF Bluestocking or not, have not tried all the SF fan sites, it does have a following on Facebook....

File 770 , can't figure if it's been talked about there, Galactic Journey is Expanse friendly but the worldline structure keeps it out of discussion, can't figure if its been of SF Bluestocking or not,

Thank you, but those three are blogs, not forums. What I class as a forum is like for example a SFFChronicles style bulletin board system (BBS). FB or Twitter are neither, and you really cannot get a good conversation going in there. There is of course Reddit's r/theexpanse, which is kind of forum and a chat system, and hugely more popular than our stuff in here.

The only thing I get from doing reviews is a satisfaction of someone talking back. I've been thinking about contacting AMZ and asking PR stuff, like images for the Expanse, but I'm equally as comfortable on doing the screen shots on my own. At least that way I don't feel pressurised by the producers and if something is bad, I can voice rather than try to talk BS about it.

The only thing I get from doing reviews is a satisfaction of someone talking back.

I don't always agree with you POV but your reviews are always excellent and in depth.

Whenever I hear (or see) BBS, I immediately think of the dial in boards of the 80s.

Thank you, but those three are blogs, not forums. What I class as a forum is like for example a SFFChronicles style bulletin board system (BBS). FB or Twitter are neither, and you really cannot get a good conversation going in there. There is of course Reddit's r/theexpanse, which is kind of forum and a chat system, and hugely more popular than our stuff in here.

These are the Hugo Nominees for best Fanzine (does anyone print a zine anymore?)
Best Fanzine

File 770, edited by Mike Glyer
Galactic Journey, edited by Gideon Marcus
Journey Planet, edited by Team Journey Planet
nerds of a feather, flock together, edited by The G, Vance Kotrla, and Joe Sherry
Rocket Stack Rank, edited by Greg Hullender and Eric Wong
SF Bluestocking, edited by Bridget McKinney

They are all Blogs? They seems half blog half forum, some are more forum than blog.
I guess forums don't have a Hugo category?

I don't always agree with you POV but your reviews are always excellent and in depth.

Thank you. I wouldn't won't everyone agreeing with me and I do admit that sometimes I put in stuff so that people can argue on the points, because I noticed that putting in what people expect to see doesn't get anywhere. They wouldn't think "he's wrong about it," or that "there's another way to look at that..." but my points are my points and they are there so that you or anyone can argue on them, if that is what they want. I'm not a perfect and I try avoid perfection, because that is what they thought me nearly 16 years. At the end, trying to be perfect got me sick. So, to me, it's better to be flawed and write stuff that's not perfect, because it makes people to talk.

Just to let you know, The Expanse now does finally have its own Chronicles Forum. The long main thread has been split into episodes and other discussions such as comparison to the books, why no Hugo awards,and how realistic it really is.

Just to let you know, The Expanse now does finally have its own Chronicles Forum. The long main thread has been split into episodes and other discussions such as comparison to the books, why no Hugo awards,and how realistic it really is.
Won a Hugo for 2017 , but weirdly, the better season 2 , was not nominated. That was just nuts.

Funny of how many thread you can get from splitting one long one. I am surprised of how many of them were hidden in there.

Over on YouTube Molly Bee has a video essay about Episode 5 of Season 2, one of the more unique TV science fiction sequences I have ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over on YouTube Molly Bee has a video essay about Episode 5 of Season 2
I think this would be better in that episode thread, so I will copy it to there and add a spoiler here. No criticism implied, but there are people in the UK who are only just now beginning to watch this series via Amazon Prime and it is difficult to cater to everyone's needs.