The Expanse - The Books vs the TV Show *Spoilers*

EaglesPDX

The books vs. the show.

Anderson Dawes is not in the book. He's a major character in the series but why did they create him. The book authors were part of the writing team but there's no explanation for why they created Dawes. It works in the series and he's a great character to explain the OPA/Belters politics and background. But adding him changes things so much. His corruption of the Star/Helix police force. His being Fred Johnson's confessor and rehabilitator. Wish they'd have some place to post questions to the writing team on changes they make.

Listening to "Nemesis Games", the last book in the Expanse series, Fred Johnson does mention Anderson Dawes. Now I have to go back and listen to "Leviathan Wakes" to see if I dozed off when Dawes was a character. This should be about mid-way through the book when Miller gets fired.

Have to check another thing. I remember in the book that Miller is fired for drinking, missing work over obession with Julie Mao while on the show Miller is fired at the behest of OPA/Dawes who has bought the police chief.

Listening to "Nemesis Games", the last book in the Expanse series, Fred Johnson does mention Anderson Dawes.

Be careful with spoilers as not everyone has read the books. I had no idea he would survive that long. Spoiler button is your friend.

Be careful with spoilers as not everyone has read the books. I had no idea he would survive that long. Spoiler button is your friend.

Don't see anything that has not been broadcast already to Episode 6. "Nemesis" is years from now both in the book and in production, the series would be to Year 5 if it gets to "Nemesis" doing a book a year.

Plus the books have been out a long time. It's a known story. Kind of like a "spoiler" for the Lord of Rings or Moby Dick. It's more about how SyFy is doing the story especially since the authors of the books are in writing room. Their chance to change things or to make changes that the other writers think would improve the story.

Last edited:
Just binge-watched the first 6 episodes and wow, loving this. I like that the two main storylines (Miller's and Holden's) are equally strong and engaging. Characters are great, and all the different settings are very nicely explored.

Just binge-watched the first 6 episodes and wow, loving this. I like that the two main storylines (Miller's and Holden's) are equally strong and engaging. Characters are great, and all the different settings are very nicely explored.

There's several personal storylines. Holden. Miller. Avasarala. The authors alternate, each chapter is told from one of the leading characters perspective.

Listening to "Nemesis Games", the last book in the Expanse series, Fred Johnson does mention Anderson Dawes. Now I have to go back and listen to "Leviathan Wakes" to see if I dozed off when Dawes was a character. This should be about mid-way through the book when Miller gets fired.

OK so Dawes does exist in the first book "Leviathan Wakes" which is the basis for Year 1 of the Expanse on Sf Fy. And he does play pretty much the character that the Sf Fy presents.

Difference is that Sy Fy spices it up and creates the conflict with Miller to the point that Dawes tries to kill him. In the book, Dawes is much more civilized and subtle. Dawes does own Shaddid, the Star-Helix head of security. The book does a better job of using Dawes to explain the politics going on. Dawes and Shaddid meet with Miller and explain that Miller cannot be the person to find out what happened to Julie Mao because it will make Earth/Star Helix on the side of Belters.

In the book, Mars has declared war on the Belters, blaming them for the attack on the Donnager and Earth is neutral. As Dawes explains, the Martians know that the Belters don't have the advanced battleships that destroyed the Donnager and the Martians are using the Belters as a pawn.

I think the book does it better. Dawes is more sympathetic and more subtle. The politics are more complex, which is more entertaining.

Given that we are already 6 episodes into the season(there are 10 in total for this season?) I don't see how they are going to squeeze the whole of the first book into just 1 season. So I'm expecting season 2 to finish book 1 (and maybe start bringing in some elements of book 2?). Which means the second season is gonna be nuts as the action really picks up later in the book (as most books do!)

I've gotten through three episodes of this show. I like it quite a lot, but I haven't been completely riveted. My wife has never read the books, so I showed her the first episode to get her take. She found it very intense and really wants to see more. I wonder if this is one of those shows that is better for those who aren't familiar with the source material.

Given that we are already 6 episodes into the season(there are 10 in total for this season?) I don't see how they are going to squeeze the whole of the first book into just 1 season. So I'm expecting season 2 to finish book 1 (and maybe start bringing in some elements of book 2?). Which means the second season is gonna be nuts as the action really picks up later in the book (as most books do!)

I agree. Maybe they'll end the season with all that chaos happening at Eros.

My question is: Why Miller left his hat at Ceres?

erosreconstruct_near_L.en.jpg

I'm very intrigued to see how they shape this in the series.

There's more background detail in the book about various places, tech and people, but no, you need to read the books. Like GoT the storyline will likely diverge anyway (there's already been a little bit of that), but we're only half way through the first book so far so it isn't too bad yet.

There's more background detail in the book about various places, tech and people, but no, you need to read the books. Like GoT the storyline will likely diverge anyway (there's already been a little bit of that), but we're only half way through the first book so far so it isn't too bad yet.

Sorry, I meant you don't need to read the books!

I finished this on Sunday and was very impressed by it. I liked the characters and It seemed to be pretty faithful to the book. Looking forward to series 2.

I finished this on Sunday and was very impressed by it. I liked the characters and It seemed to be pretty faithful to the book. Looking forward to series 2.

Me too. And I've made the decision not to read the books. I have more than enough 1000 page trilogies available that don't have the benefit of a filmed version. This is a very good SyFy production.

Agreed. SyFy have really impressed me with this and Killjoys. Looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

For the folks enjoying the TV series, have you read the books? I have a hard time reviewing the episodes, since I know so much about what is going to happen and am wondering how things are playing out versus the book.