Sleep Stories

AlexH

I didn't know this was a thing! It turns a favourite travel writer of mine is one of the most popular sleep story writers: Phoebe Smith on the art of boring people to sleep

Here's an example to send you to sleep, narrated by Stephen Fry and written by Phoebe Smith:

Has anyone written or is tempted to write a sleep story? One of my own stories had a scene that was way too detailed, but maybe it's suitable to start a sleep story. They sound time-consuming to write, with a lot of research required (unless you already know a place very well).

Between the story, and Fry's reading,it doubtless works.

But I'm sure that read like that almost any book would do it. It's a surprise Stephen didn't fall asleep reading it.
I managed 11 minutes before I could take no more.

All of my stories result in this... albeit, not intentionally. Hypnotic, no. Boring, yes... that's my genre!

K2
I was waiting for someone to make that joke, and based on other comments you've made (NOT how you write), sort-of thought it'd be you! :D

Between the story, and Fry's reading,it doubtless works.

But I'm sure that read like that almost any book would do it. It's a surprise Stephen didn't fall asleep reading it.
I managed 11 minutes before I could take no more.
I think there's an art to it. The article uses not mentioning snakes as an example, and I doubt a fast-paced thriller would work in the same way however it was read. I didn't last anywhere near 11 minutes but imagine it'll be good for relaxing at night. It is ironic we're supposed to avoid screens an hour before sleep, but we need to look at a screen to listen to most of these stories. I thought about trying the Calm app, but can't see if they offer MP3 downloads.

I know that when I'm editing my stories I tend to drift off to sleep.
I think there is a reasonable explanation for that.
However it troubles me that the wife often takes my book to bed with her.

Back