Some minor changes, including Supporter memberships

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Just a couple of small changes to announce:

1. Amazon instead of Paypal - I know some people want to be Supporters but don't trust Paypal. Therefore I'd like to trial the option of trying something through Amazon. Simply put, if you're an Amazon member, you could send an eGift Card from your personal Amazon account to my Amazon business account. As I have business accounts both on Amazon UK and Amazon.com, this means there are no exchange rate fees, and the amount would remain fixed. As it's my business account, I would not be able to use any gift cards for personal spending. If you'd like to try this out, please PM me so that a) we can test this out, and b) I can ensure your membership is upgraded.

2. Private Supporter boards - as we don't currently have blogs available, I've set up a private board for Supporters to post anything they like, with the exclusion of political content. The aim is for that board to act like a personal blog and messaging space, without taking from existing public discussions open to all. And because it's a private area, that means people may be able to post material they may not feel comfortable posting in full public view. There is also a new and private Buy/Sell/Trade/Swap board available for Supporters - while I've come down against it in the public forums, not least because it might attract undesirables, I see no harm in Supporter Members being able to make private arrangements with other members in an area designated for that. The issue doesn't come up very often, but at least I can now trial making a private space for that.

3. The return of Challenge prizes! - I figure if I'm taking money for my Amazon business accounts, then the least I can do is start paying for prizes with some of the Writing Challenges again. I'll make sure announcements are made at the start of eligible challenges, just like in the old days. :)

4. New board for The Expanse - I've just watched the first episode, really enjoyed it, but discovered we don;t have a dedicated area for it! So I've now created a new dedicated TV Series board for it: The Expanse . I'm sure I'll start filling it up with episode-by-episode commentaries. :)

HanaBi

Nexus 9.1 For Sale. One Careful Owner
Supporter
I would certainly welcome a second option to anything remotely resembling PayPal!

Working in IT over the years, I have across no end of customers contacting me with issues regarding their PP accounts being hacked/compromised or some other general issue resulting in lost transactions. And it is for this reason I have been reluctant to sign up as a "supporter" for this site.

But as I do have an Amazon account I am more than willing to give your formative idea a try. (That said, I also know that even Amazon accounts are not completely infallible, but still)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I know Amazon do an Amazon Pay merchant gateway - I'm not sure how that would work, but if direct eGift cards don't work, I can look into that as I figure Amazon are more trusted than Paypal.

Lumens

ɹǝɹoldxǝ ǝɯᴉʇǝɔɐdS
Supporter
How do I become a supporting member? I searched around (on my tablet) but couldn't find it. I think it could be more promiment.

pyan

Great Old One
Staff member
Supporter
How do I become a supporting member? I searched around (on my tablet) but couldn't find it. I think it could be more promiment.
Here's the announcement: Big Changes to Chrons

To join, go to your account page (click on your avatar on the blue or red bar at the top of every page), and select "Account Upgrades." :)

picklematrix

Good, I can't use PayPal with my main email address because years ago I signed up before turning 18, now it is locked out permenantly.

M. Robert Gibson

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Supporter
For any members out there who do not have an Amazon account, or a PayPal account, and do not like putting their credit/debit card details on the web, I would just like to bring to your attention my approach to supporting Chrons.

After consulting with Brian, here's what I did:
  1. Bought a physical Amazon gift card from my local Morrisons (other shops are available)
  2. Sent a personal message to Brian containing the redeem code from the back of the card.
  3. Brian redeemed the code against his amazon.co.uk account.
Lo and behold, I am now a supporter with all the super-secret benefits that includes ;)

dannymcg

I'm too cool for a fridge
For any members out there who do not have an Amazon account, or a PayPal account, and do not like putting their credit/debit card details on the web, I would just like to bring to your attention my approach to supporting Chrons.

After consulting with Brian, here's what I did:
  1. Bought a physical Amazon gift card from my local Morrisons (other shops are available)
  2. Sent a personal message to Brian containing the redeem code from the back of the card.
  3. Brian redeemed the code against his amazon.co.uk account.
Lo and behold, I am now a supporter with all the super-secret benefits that includes ;)
Does he give Nectar points?