• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

Love, Death & Robots: major SF authors in a new anthology Netflix series

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter

Blindspot - Vitaliy Shushko

A gang of cyborg thieves stage a high-speed heist of a heavily armoured convoy.
Very short. Very old school cartoon style, but same goes as well to the script as it reminds me stuff from all they back in the 80's. I personally liked this cyberpunk tale, and I never would have thought something like this would be appearing on the small screen. When the blindspot appears, it's brilliant.

Ice Age - Michael Swanwick

A young couple moves into an apartment and finds a lost civilisation inside their antique freezer.
The only entry so far that is mixing realistic CGI with real life footage. The tale is super intriguing Alternate History/Urban Fantasy and it's mostly funny. You could write a whole book or make a movie about it. I really like that they showed the whole arc of a civilisation advancing towards inevitable death as if the fridge had somehow developed a temporal space anomaly in it.

Alternate Histories - John Scalzi
Want to see Hitler die in a variety of comically fantastic ways? Now you can. Welcome to Multiversity!
Another very short, and another Scalzi's work. Modern cartoon. Speculative SF. Show dicks, tits and bums, so NSFW. But for a man who likes TT and wierdness, I didn't feel a pull from this shorty. It's strange because I usually like Scalzi's work. I liked the rats.

The Secret War - David W. Amendola

Elite units of the Red Army fight an unholy evil deep in the ancient forests of Siberia.
A hyper realistic CGI SF, set in the alternative history back in the 1940's. Very nice script. Superb voice work. Some very graphic scenes, NSFW. I really enjoyed this dark, sad tale.

Susan Boulton

The storyteller
Knowing the source material aka : SNAFU Anthologies from Cohesion Press, I knew more or less what to expect. Some worked, and I enjoyed. Some were very Meh..... to the point of being annoying. The sexual exploitative elements were actually a lot milder than I thought they would be, knowing, as I said the source material, and the sub genre of the SF genre.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
It took wired quite a bit of time to get this article written.

If you haven't figured it out by the time you see a young Hitler being fellated by a Viennese sex worker, Love, Death & Robots isn't your average Netflix show.

Of course, if you haven't figured it out, you probably haven't been paying attention: "Alternate Histories," which features said act being performed upon said icon of evil, is the 17th of 18 episodes in the animated anthology. By that point, you'll have seen full frontal nudity (male, female, and demonic); you'll also have seen a zero-G rendition of 127 Hours that deserves every Foley Art award possible, plentiful crushed heads, and even more plentiful arcing ichorous spews, and a sex scene that looks like the result of Cinemax becoming a game developer. You may not want to watch with your youth group leader is all I'm saying.

The anthology, from a team of executive producers that includes David Fincher and Deadpool director Tim Miller, is a viscerally enjoyable (and just plain visceral) conflagration of the senses. It does a great many things very well, a few not so well, and takes absolutely nothing seriously. But most importantly, it signals that Netflix isn't just paying lip service to the spirit of experimentation. The more naked and gleaming the streaming platform is willing to become, the more urgent its programming will be—and the better it will withstand the coming
'Love, Death & Robots' and the Rise of NSFW Netflix

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
A veritable smorgasbord of entertainment -- horror, humor and SF in digestible, snack-sized servings.
Some duds, but overall worthwhile watching. Definitely earns its TV-MA rating.
I hope Netflix plans more.

Reactions: ctg