What have I been up to?

Welcome home Teresa. I hope you found a warm welcome and a clean house when you returned. Well, maybe, one out of two isn't bad. :)

I got the warm welcome from Megan and John at the airport, and parts of the house were clean, because Megan was cleaning up the "public" parts of the house for the boys' birthday party this Sunday. Alas, cleaning up the front rooms meant dumping a lot of stuff in my office, because I wasn't, until this Tuesday, expected back this soon. (Even when I knew I was coming, I thought it would be a while, because booking a flight several days ahead is generally cheaper. But Megan was able to get a good price for Thursday, only two days ahead, so here I am.)

But I was glad to get back here, clutter and all.

The grandsons, Ethan and Jack, hugged me and then went back to what they were doing, which, since they have just turned thirteen, is about as demonstrative as one could expect. I had wondered if Sasquatch would even remember who I was after seven weeks, but she greeted me with what counts for her (she is a very sedate dog) as glad abandon.

So I slept late and am resting up, before being swept into party preparations for the weekend.

It's just a matter of getting the insurance in place so that she can get a professional caregiver to look after her, but there have been endless complications at the insurance end. Which is not my problem to deal with , thank goodness, but until it is dealt with I'm the caregiver, housekeeper, etc. etc. and I can't go home until it is satisfactorily settled because for the foreseeable future there is no one else who can take my place. Plus there have been considerable tensions with some of the people involved, which is wearing. My friend and I are glad of the time together, but ... well it is hard on all sorts of levels. She is only a few months older than I am but such is her condition that it might as well be decades, which is heartbreaking since I have known her since we were both young and she was so strong and healthy, now so sick and helpless, at the mercy of others.

And, selfishly, I want to go home to my family. It wasn't supposed to take this long. At the same time, I do want to be here as long as I am needed.

Ugh, I hate having to be a caregiver. My mother, brother, and I had to do so for my grandmother a while back, and it was just...we couldn't handle it. Luckily there's other family who is now taking the role but...not the best memories.

I took care of my mother in her last months, and it was exhausting and disheartening, but I am glad I did it. In some ways it was a precious time. But a lot depends on the person you are taking care of, and on the support you have. My mother was sweet and gentle and uncomplaining; two of my children were there every day and were a great help in a lot of ways. They would spend hours sitting with her. My husband was also a great help and very supportive. So I have some good memories but I know what you mean about bad memories. And some people did let us down.

For this, then, I knew what I was getting into. I was there longer than I had planned, but the rest I was prepared for. Fortunately, one thing I learned when I was taking care of my mother was that when I am concentrating on what needs to be done I'm not at all squeamish, which was a surprise, because generally speaking I am very much so. (This was important this time around because there were terrible ulcers on my friend's legs and dressings to be changed every other day. I was a lot more squeamish about cleaning the cat box, but that had to be done, too.) I don't regret going, and I only wish I could have left her with the insurance set up and everything going well instead of the way it turned out. But there could still be a good outcome when they've treated her present problems, so I'm hoping for that.

I don't regret going, and I only wish I could have left her with the insurance set up and everything going well instead of the way it turned out. But there could still be a good outcome when they've treated her present problems, so I'm hoping for that.

I'm glad that you saw your way through the squeamish parts, and having help makes all the difference in the world! Insurance! what an incredible pain! You absolutely can't do without it on the long term, and many people can't, or can't really, afford it. I so wish it wasn't a "business" so that the emphasis could be on getting people the care that they need rather than seeing a person with a serious and lingering illness as a drain on the viability of the business. (Here in Iowa we have had several insurers go out of business because they were losing money. Hardly seems possible, but it's true.) --- I will hope and pray right along with you for a good outcome. Let us know what you can.

They moved Pat from the hospital to the associated nursing home, which unfortunately is not as pleasant an environment or as well run. She'll be there for another few weeks minimum. When I spoke to her last she sounded disgruntled about the move but otherwise in good spirits. And she's felt well enough to post a bit on Facebook, which she never does when things are at their worst. I hate that I have to depend on other people now to know how she is doing, but now I am better acquainted with her sisters I know they will keep me up to date on what is happening.

On the home front/writing front, the audio book for Goblin Moon has all been recorded, revised, and approved by me. I am not sure how long after it is uploaded it takes to make an audio book real through Amazon (with a Kindle ebook, it's usually just a matter of hours) but I am guessing it will be available soon. So I am excited about that!

And my family has just adopted a new dog. We went to the shelter last week, the family including Sasquatch, our lovely big dog. That's one of the rules these days (I remember when you just went in to the pound, chose a dog, and they gave it to you on the spot, but these places are more responsible now): the whole family that lives in the house including any other dogs or cats need to meet and interact with the prospective pet. We chose a little black and tan dachshund mix, a senior dog who was very shy at first—traumatized by losing his original home no doubt—but he warmed to us and wanted to be held. Once he was in John's lap that was pretty much the decision made! He's been missing Max, our little dog who died in the spring, as have we all, but sitting in a comfortable chair with a good book and a dog in his lap is pretty much John's idea of a perfect way to spend the day.

But since they don't allow dogs to be adopted out unless they've been neutered, and his previous owners hadn't done it, we have to wait until Tuesday to bring the little guy home, because the vet comes in to do operations today.

We're still figuring out what to name him. At the shelter they call him Junior, but that is not going to stand! Here is a picture of me holding him:
20190921_143230.jpg

Update: Gary says it will take about ten days for the audio book. Still, it is exciting to know we are that close to releasing it!

And as those of you who have been following the other thread know, I have been posting more Tarot cards again.

And the audio book is now available at amazon.com and amazon.co.uk. Soon to also be at iTunes.

Congratulations, Teresa! I read this a few years ago and thought it was wonderful. Now I will listen to it, and I look forward to experiencing the story and characters again.

One note - this might seem self-evident since this is an audiobook, but I was able to pick this up at Audible.com; I was able to use one of my monthly credits to pay for it. So, it's available at Audible US, at least, as well. :)

Audible and Amazon are affiliated. I had forgotten they listed books on a separate site as well. Thanks for the reminder.

I hope you enjoy the audio book!

I'm sure I will! Looking forward to seeing how the narrator does the various characters.

Amazon does own Audible; if a person is an Audible member, they often can purchase audiobooks at Audible.com cheaper than they're sold at Amazon.
Though you can sometimes get a book on Kindle at the Amazon site, and match it at checkout with the book on Audible, for cheaper than Audible sells just the audiobook. It gets confusing. So, I guess always research prices. But do buy this book! It's a great read, CC

Here is the new trailer I was working on for Goblin Moon (the Kindle edition) awhile back. Yup, it looks like I will probably be making these book trailers until I am finally satisfied that I have created the best one my skill set allows. Not there yet, but getting closer, I think.

I'm posting the trailer for the audiobook in Press Releases.

I agree Teresa, that has real possibilities. I was a bit confused with the explosion near the end. What was that supposed to symbolize?

It's
Francis Skelbrooke's
exploding pocket watch, which is used in GM against the
pirate ship
. Since he would never be without such a useful item, another one like it makes a brief appearance in HN.

I haven't been around much the last few months—actually, I have been lurking just about every day, I just haven't posted much. And now I may disappear completely for a few days, as tomorrow I fly out to upstate New York again (weather permitting), to visit my friend Pat, who has, since I saw her last summer, been moved about from one hospital to nursing home to a different hospital to another nursing home then back to the first hospital etc. etc. She's not been doing well. They treat one problem and another one, even more serious, starts up. Right now she's in a little town near the mountains, but if there are cardio problems again she may go back to the hospital in Watertown ... or the one in Syracuse. I hope not Syracuse, because it's too far from the airport where we are supposed to land and the hotel where we have booked rooms.

Megan is going with me. Please wish us luck with the weather and all the rest of it, and most of all, if you pray, please send prayers to Pat!

I hope to be back here late Monday or early Tuesday.

Back