What have I been up to?

You have my sympathies about traveling a long distance. About ten years ago my wife and I took a Greyhound to California for a church activity. The first four or five hours was fine after that it became a drag.

Your trip will be worth while for you will be with your friend and giving comfort. Giving of oneself can be rewarding if you have the loving motivation.

About to leave for the airport soon. (Not forgetting to steal the mouse from my home computer because I'll be wanting it for the laptop.)

And thank you all for the kind thoughts and blessings.

Hope the flight goes well, Teresa (from a person who has great sympathy for those also worried about flying).
I'm sure your friend will take great comfort in having you with her these several weeks, CC

Stressful, stressful endless flight with delays leaving, endless circling over Philadelphia unable to land due to trying to avoid thunderstorms with spectacular lightning, finally being given the clearance to land within minutes of having to divert to another airport in another state, then a long wait for the connecting flight (the good news it was delayed long enough so that I could make it, the bad news that it was delayed even longer than that) with a waiting room full of exhausted and frazzled people who had had their own travel adventures with the weather all up and down the east coast of the continent, and who wanted to get HOME ... but the fact that I arrived here tired but safe and sound I ascribe to everyone's good wishes and prayers. Thanks to you all.

The weather here today, by the way, is clear and lovely.

Oh, what a terrible time you've had. I'm glad you've arrived safe and sound despite all the difficulties. And on the plus side, it gives you lots of material for conversations! ;) (I'm English. Our first -- and very often only -- topic of conversation is the weather in all its permutations!)

Sorry to hear of the trials. Very pleased that you have arrived safe and sound! Now on to being a world class friend.

(I'm English. Our first -- and very often only -- topic of conversation is the weather in all its permutations!)

Must be a lot of English on the Northern Plains. :)

I'm from California where there is hardly enough variation in the weather to make it a a topic of conversation. So at least Wednesday's weather was interesting.

My sojourn here in Watertown, New York looks like it is going to continue much longer than I had originally anticipated. What was supposed to be two to three weeks looks more like six.

However, that could change again. There are many variables.

It's just a matter of getting the insurance in place so that she can get a professional caregiver to look after her, but there have been endless complications at the insurance end. Which is not my problem to deal with , thank goodness, but until it is dealt with I'm the caregiver, housekeeper, etc. etc. and I can't go home until it is satisfactorily settled because for the foreseeable future there is no one else who can take my place. Plus there have been considerable tensions with some of the people involved, which is wearing. My friend and I are glad of the time together, but ... well it is hard on all sorts of levels. She is only a few months older than I am but such is her condition that it might as well be decades, which is heartbreaking since I have known her since we were both young and she was so strong and healthy, now so sick and helpless, at the mercy of others.

And, selfishly, I want to go home to my family. It wasn't supposed to take this long. At the same time, I do want to be here as long as I am needed.

My friends change of insurance coverage so that she can get professional home care (the old carrier was denying her for some fairly stupid reasons) has been approved. The insurance kicks in on September 1, but that's when they start looking for nurses or aides to hire. It could take a few days, and maybe more since the 1st is on a weekend, followed by a holiday (Labor Day), but one thing at least is settled and we are one step closer to the rest.

So Pat's condition has been deteriorating. It's been disheartening. Lots of last week taken up in trips to the doctor, the lab, etc. Then yesterday morning she called the paramedics to take her to the hospital, which is where I spent most of my Sunday. Will be spending a lot of my time there at her side until we discover whether she is going to be there for several days (I'll stay here to make sure all is in place for her care when she returns) or weeks or months (I'll return home to California, as there is no way I can remain here that long). Obviously, going into the hospital just when the insurance people were set to start arranging for her home care throws everything into chaos again, but my two week visit has already turned into seven and I can't stay indefinitely. Someone else will have to take over if she is in for an extended hospital stay.

Very sorry to hear of hear of the further problems. I do hope everything turns out for the best for both of you, and you can return home soon.

Teresa, so sorry to hear this. And am praying for good results. Lastly, I'm reminded of an all proverb. "A friend in need is a friend indeed." --- You are definitely a good friend.

It looks like I am set to go home tomorrow, unless something changes drastically, which at this point would not be anything good.

I will be in the air most of the day, Thursday, and would appreciate prayers for all travelers from those of you who pray (I know you'll be one of them Parson) and good wishes from anyone else who cares to bestow them. I am a very nervous traveler, especially on my own over such vast distances, so while I am relieved on one level to be going home at last, I am also going to be increasingly apprehensive until and unless I am safely returned.

Back