Minor upgrade to forums

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Just to let you know that this morning I ran a minor upgrade to the forum software, moving from Xenforo 2.0x to 2.1. This comes with a few new minor features:

1. Content Bookmarks - at the top right of every post there's a bookmark icon, not for your browser, but to be saved in your chrons account. So if you read a thread or post you particularly like and would like to remember, use the bookmarks icon to file it away in your account on chrons. You should also be able to label these, too. They should be available in your account at this URL: https://www.sffchronicles.com/account/bookmarks

2. Notifications - hopefully existing watched thread notifications will now be fixed, but check your settings here: https://www.sffchronicles.com/account/preferences
ALSO note that Push Notifications may now be available (for all but iOS), if you select that as an option, also in the above URL. I haven't tried it yet, and I have a nasty feeling our server may be lacking an extension to support this at present. But, if and when it is up and running, it should mean members using devices other than iOS ones should be available to get notifications of alerts, even when not on chrons. (iOS currently does not support the standard, but could implement it any time).

3. Video uploads should now be available as an option for inserting into posts, the same way as with images

4. Reactions - we're supposed to have multiple "reactions" available when hovering over the Like button in posts. However, I've just run a check and it doesn't appear to be working at the moment! I'll have to check to see what's causing that. :)

5. Avatars are now round, not square. It's simply a feature of Xenforo 2.1. :)

6. Avatars on forum lists for last poster - again, another default feature that's been introduced.

Another change, not connected to the upgrade, is that I've reinstated all of the original author boards. I tried moving over to the tagging system, but I'm not seeing it so used. I'll retain the tags, but I'll also look to create new author boards for all tagged authors with significant numbers of discussions. I'll also apply my original rules that a new author board is not created unless there are existing discussions about that author and their works. I'd also like to see promotions posted to the Press Releases board rather than author boards, because I want to keep the latter as discussion based, though I'll still use named tags for both.

If I have time, I'm also considering revising the frontend with a new system. I'm also thinking of pushing the forums back to the homepage to put the community back at the centre of the site, and perhaps list the latest features in a sidebar. I'll try out the new system first before I make any changes there, though.

Anyway, enough to start with. :)

Last edited:

HoopyFrood

Yippie kayak other buckets!
It's look pretty sleek and neat on mobile (and the avatars are still square here). Also I wondered if Chrons would get push notifications eventually, so that's cool.

I did get confused by the little red person with a pencil appearing on some people, until I realised it meant Thread Starter, or OP as they're known elsewhere.

Edit: just enabled push notifications. What a brave new world. Also a lot easier to edit posted now, previously I had to turn my phone sideways to get the edit button.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
And more changes:

Author forums are all back, and now sorted alphabetically by first name. Additionally, I've created a number of new author forums. There are quite a lot, and I did try out 5 columns instead of 3, but although that reduces space, it does make it harder to find specific authors. 3 columns seems to strike a decent balance so far, but I can make changes as required. Anyway, because there are so many, perhaps it'll be a long time before I'm asked why there isn't a forum for XYZ author. :)

The tags are still present, but I've removed their visbility.

I've also put the forums back on the homepage, rather than the features for the moment, namely because I'm looking at a possible alternative platform for featured content. That can still be found here: The SFF Chronicles Science Fiction & Fantasy Community

EDIT: Actually, you can currently find them by clicking the Home button in the top navigation bar below the site logo. A slight oversight on my part, but I'll leave it for the time being. :)

I've removed the right-hand sidebar with the latest posts/links etc from most internal pages for the time being, but I do plan to showcase Featured content there at some point. I figure better to revert to basics before making further changes, though.

Last edited:

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Btw, @Jo Zebedee @Stephen Palmer @ralphkern @Toby Frost @Susan Boulton - that means you have Author forums on display again, so you're welcome to use them to try and drum up some engagement - but only if you wish to. However, I would like to see any promotional posts made to the Press Releases section, as that will likely gain you the most attention, while allow more signal to noise on your subforums, ie, focused on reader discussions or author news or similar.

@HareBrain @Dennis E. Taylor - I know neither of you have asked for subforums, but you've both generated discussions so I've created ones for you as a routine matter of course for any discussed author on chrons. As above, you're welcome to push any news or discussions or similar there, but also recommend any promotions are posted to the Press Releases section.

Of course, you don't need to interact with your named author boards if you don't wish to - my genuine hope is that we can naturally develop some discussions there in the first place. :)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
And before anyone asks about getting an author board, I'd just like to iterate:

I'll also apply my original rules that a new author board is not created unless there are existing discussions about that author and their works.
Better if members are patient and slowly build up discussions, not least through reviews by other members here. :)

Boneman

Great Stuff, Brian!

Just one thing to do, and that's to enable the like emojis on the Limerick Conundrum thread. It's enabled on the Makes you smile, brightens your day thread, and most of that is posters reproducing other people's cartoons (and very good it is, too) whereas Limerick Conundrum is entirely the work of members here, and I feel we should be rewarded with the ability to show our appreciation of clever, witty and apposite ORIGINAL works.

Thank you.

Phyrebrat

ba-Ba-ba-brat
Supporter
I like the new stuff, Boss. It all works for me. I get email notifications if anyone so much as breathes in my direction, so these push notifications not being on iOS are no problem.

And I rather like the circular member pics because the Chronicles of an Empire logo is circular.

pH

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
Don't know but suspect that this is related. I find posting to be rather glitchy. I've had 3 of my last 5 posts refuse to post and tell me to try later, and then in about 30 sec. my post comes up, but I still appear to editing my post.

edit: It just happened when posting this post. I have my old post still located in the box below.

M. Robert Gibson

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Supporter
I've had 3 of my last 5 posts refuse to post and tell me to try later
I've just had this happen to me, and I ended up with a double post, because I was still in edit mode, so I clicked post again, but on refresh my original post was already there, hence double post syndrome :confused:

Harpo

Guess. Guess wrongly. Guess wrongly often.
the same thing just happened to me too

-K2-

mƎ kn0w dUm!
I wonder if some of the 'softer-seeming' graphics/symbols used are part of the new version, or some new changeable theme?

In any case, as to the avatar issue, just adapt and keep going my thinking ;)

K2

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
Hi Bryan!

Seems to be problems posting stuff in PM's with me and it is stopping me post. The error message suggested that I look into the browser console...and it flagged a bit of PHP code. I can post the highlighted bit if that's helpful.

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
Okay, It's a couple hours after I first posted and I was not alerted to additions to this thread although I had posted to it. When I got here my original unedited post was still in the response box, which I believe was why I was not informed.

dannymcg

I'm too cool for a fridge
I've had 3 of my last 5 posts refuse to post and tell me to try later, and then in about 30 sec. my post comes up, but I still appear to editing my post
I've just had this happen to me, and I ended up with a double post, because I was still in edit mode, so I clicked post again, but on refresh my original post was already there, hence double post syndrome
the same thing just happened to me too
This has been happening to me as well over the last two days. Screenshot shows the 'pop up' thingy

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Don't know but suspect that this is related. I find posting to be rather glitchy. I've had 3 of my last 5 posts refuse to post and tell me to try later, and then in about 30 sec. my post comes up, but I still appear to editing my post.
I suspect there was a temporary issue with the server, but I'll keep an eye on things.