Can't find this type of book

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
I have a bad cold at the moment (and no, the main purpose of this thread isn't to generate sympathy, BUT IT COULDN'T HURT, RIGHT?) and I'd like nothing better than to curl up with a good book. But I have a hankering for a particular kind of book, and I can't seem to find any.

A likeable band of characters set out on an adventure with probably not much initial motivation deeper than to travel, explore and make their fortune (to use that old-fashioned phrase). Interpersonal relationships favour humour over angst. Probably none of the characters is especially significant in terms of prophecies etc, or the lost children of royalty. As the adventure goes on, it no doubt gets more significant in terms of the fate of the world etc, but that emerges organically rather than being flagged up at the start.

This basic format, with an emphasis on fun and exploration, might seem familiar to those who played D&D as teenagers or played certain JRPG videogames (I'm thinking in particular of Grandia). But I can't find it in book form, either adult or YA. The Wheel of Time might be close-ish, but is way too long and complex and prophecy-driven. The Chronicles of Prydain are probably closest in terms of tone, but the target audience is too young.

Any ideas?

I won't lie to you about your chances of finding this kind of book but... [horrible smirk] You have my sympathies. Feel better yet?

I know what you mean: it would be nice to read something without angst or that sense of paranoia (says the man who wrote a book where everyone assassinates everyone else). I suppose that is a good way to generate additional tension during the journey, but it does get a bit tedious. I'm a bit rusty on fantasy, but my first thought is Dragonlance. My second is TV shows like Buffy or The West Wing, where an ensemble cast deals with a new problem each week, but I can't imagine those likeable bands of characters having an adventure like that!

Go read Space Mac by me again. :D Accidental adventure, no motivation other than to not die, humour and shenanigans.

Other than that, I'm drawing a blank. Possibly Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman? Likeable characters and humour and no prophecy or super important character.

Continuing with Neil Gaiman, and the unlikely possibility that you haven't read him: "The Graveyard Book".

And get better soon....

Of course there's always the Famous Five adventure in which they experiment with a ouija board, find themselves transported through time and space, then have to journey through fantastic realms, eventually coming to realise that they are the subject of ancient prophecies and the universe hangs in the balance depending on whether they drink tizer or ginger beer. Or is that the Narnia books... I'm getting confused here....

What about Terry Brookes Landover books?

I know it's not a group just a man wanting an escape sees an advert selling a magic kingdom?

Now it's awhile since I read them, memories a little sketchy but you may enjoy Guy Gabriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry.

Another book similar these is The Barbed Coil, by J. V. Jones.

Thanks all. I was thinking more of the JRPG/D&D thing of going exploring exotic landscapes, digging around in ancient ruins, awakening terrible evils, running away etc.

I'm a bit rusty on fantasy, but my first thought is Dragonlance.

I did once have a look at the first book, but didn't get on with what I read. That might have been my mood at the time, though. I'll have another look.

Have you read The Body? The Book that inspired Stand by Me?

Ok you've reminded me of something I read and it's going to annoy me.
A group of friends (3 I think) decide to quit the nine to five and go exploring, they get pulled into a power battle, I can't remember if they came across a hidden civilisation or stumbled in the mist between worlds.

The Black Company?

That's more military, isn't it? And quite dark, as I understand it.

C'mon, someone must have written a mash-up of Jason and the Argonauts, The Goonies, The Farthest Shore, Treasure Island and the Charn bit of The Magician's Nephew? If I don't read it soon, my cold will be over and it'll be too late.

Ok you've reminded me of something I read and it's going to annoy me.

*evil chuckle*

Probably too obvious to mention, but how about the Fahfrd and Grey Mouser stories? (Take two, and call me in the morning.) Or even the Conan stories.

Or maybe I'm confusing you for me, since when I have a cold I tend toward short stories, and the pulpier the better.

Randy M.

Now I don't do much traditional fantasy, but the book that occurs to me that is quite like this is "We are Legion" by our our own Dennis E Taylor. It does start with one "person" but it does turn into a party of adventurers, with a lot of nerdy humor.

What you describe, HB, sounds sort of like a familiar fairy tale set-up, where the main character (possibly younger son) goes out to do a ... well, a thing of some sort ... and along the way meets up with various persons with unique abilities who decide to come along and help him.

No, I don't have a specific book to suggest, but maybe if you were to dig around Amazon or somewhere among the fairy tale retellings.

Not much help I fear. But I do sympathize about the bad cold. They can be perfectly miserable, and though not usually serious can turn into something worse if you don't spend lots and lots and lots of time in bed doing nothing but comfort reading. So I hope you find what you are looking for, or at least something that will do in its place.

___
Edit: I haven't read it, but Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo sounds like it might be close to what you are looking for. Read the description on the product page.

They can be perfectly miserable, and though not usually serious can turn into something worse if you don't spend lots and lots and lots of time in bed doing nothing but comfort reading.

Indeed -- I know someone who was hospitalised with flu, chest infection and pneumonia last weekend. They only just got him there in time.

Edit: I haven't read it, but Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo sounds like it might be close to what you are looking for. Read the description on the product page.

Thanks. I was looking at some of hers this morning in the bookshop, but missed this one. It doesn't look quite like what I was after, but it does look like it might be good, so I've downloaded a sample.

You must have read all Iain M Banks books, I would think?? Only, that I think Against a Dark Background contains many of the elements that you ask for, and ironically, it is exactly the reason that many people don't like it. I am not one of them.

Some of the later Jack Vance might fit the bill. Try Ports of Call, Nightlamp, or Lurulu.

Chris Woodings' Tales of the Ketty Jay series sounds like it could be close to what you're looking for.

Here's a question. Do you want it in book form? Because there are plenty of (very, very lengthy) Youtube DnD series, that more or less fit your description, that you could just listen to...(Perhaps listening to a DnD group ain't going to scratch your reading itch???)

(One I really got into was 'Critial Role' that you can find on the Geek & Sundry channel, that uses some well known voice over actors, but...at about 3-4 hours per episode, it's a bit of a commitment!)

I have a bad cold at the moment (and no, the main purpose of this thread isn't to generate sympathy, BUT IT COULDN'T HURT, RIGHT?) and I'd like nothing better than to curl up with a good book. But I have a hankering for a particular kind of book, and I can't seem to find any.

A likeable band of characters set out on an adventure with probably not much initial motivation deeper than to travel, explore and make their fortune (to use that old-fashioned phrase). Interpersonal relationships favour humour over angst. Probably none of the characters is especially significant in terms of prophecies etc, or the lost children of royalty. As the adventure goes on, it no doubt gets more significant in terms of the fate of the world etc, but that emerges organically rather than being flagged up at the start.

This basic format, with an emphasis on fun and exploration, might seem familiar to those who played D&D as teenagers or played certain JRPG videogames (I'm thinking in particular of Grandia). But I can't find it in book form, either adult or YA. The Wheel of Time might be close-ish, but is way too long and complex and prophecy-driven. The Chronicles of Prydain are probably closest in terms of tone, but the target audience is too young.

Any ideas?
Have you read the Alfar books by Elizabeth Boyer yet?
Particularly "The Elves and the Otterskin".
Elizabeth Boyer - The Elves And The Otterskin - PDF Free Download