Discussion thread: March 2019 75 word story challenge.

There may be a problem extending the voting because the poll was set to automatically close. Ursa is working on it, though, and in a little while we will know if he succeeded in keeping the poll open for another day.

Don't count on the software cooperating, though, so if you are still contemplating which story to vote for, you may have only nineteen minutes left.

The poll will now close 24 hours later than scheduled, just in case someone tried to vote earlier and couldn't (and isn't around until after midnight tonight).

At the moment, the closing time is slightly earlier than that -- I had to change the time before it closed for good today -- but I will change it to the correct time (23:59 on the 29th of March) in about 12 or so minutes.

There must be a glitch in the system somewhere. Chrons was also down for a while last night. ---- And perhaps related, From time to time my display wavers.

On a personal level I'm glad the time got extended. I just received short listings from @Cat's Cradle and @HazelRah which were fabulous indeed.

And then I was gobsmacked when @Teresa Edgerton gave me a vote. Thanks everyone!

@Parson Nowadays software is built on OOP (object oriented programming) paradigm. Because of that, a page request like this one, is going to be piece together from tens to thousands small pieces of code. The actual code is separated in files on the disk and reading each one of them for every page request, consume a lot of server CPU time. Multiply that with thousands of visitors and you are going to clog the machine to the point no request can be served. There are many other factors, but they can be tweaked a lot easier.

The closing time is now as advertised: 23:59 (GMT) tonight...

...unless we have another problem with server uptime, I suppose....

Although I was able to vote yesterday evening, a mixture of lack of my time, and a lack of server uptime, meant that I haven't managed to present the results of the Ursa jury...

...until now....

The following are in posting order within the categories:

Honourable Mentions:
  • Phaseolus vulgaris by dannymcg
  • We Reap What We Sow by juelz4sure
  • Consciousness, but not as we know it…. by Hugh
  • Time to move on. by Marvin
Runners Up:
  • Virtuosity at Paganini’s by Luiglin
  • Birth by Peter V
  • Frustrating Guests by Vince W
Winner:
  • No Need To Panic. by mosaix

Parson, thank you for the listing, made my day, week and month .

And once again a big thank you to all the reviewers, great work .
Bob

Somewhere along the line, I've picked up another vote, too!
It was a close-run thing between you and Parson. The two stories which really grabbed me. You edged it out.