Discussion thread: March 2019 75 word story challenge.

Cacophony, @Cathbad - Colleagues can be a blessing and a curse in any line of work, even in space exploration. Sometimes their feedback is useful. Sometimes it’s all just noise.

An Offering, @Culhwch - A hapless young man is beguiled by tales of honour by someone without any.

Green Manure, @Perpetual Man - A world of has-bean couch potatoes is saved by, rather than becoming, vegetables. I do love a hap-pea ending.

Frustrating Guests, @Vince W - When someone has spent a lot of time and effort on funereal rites, it’s not appropriate to undo there good work. When in Rome, or ancient Egypt, for that matter…

There is music wherever there is rhythm… @M. Robert Gibson - This pulsating sci-fi tale of alien infestation really gets under your skin.

There are a lot of posts about how it's hard to choose, and I agree! So many good entries, I stopped making a list, because it was just about everyone.

Because it's March and this is the season when the snow melts and shows all the trash on the ground, I think I was really drawn to the stories of our struggling earth. That's resonating as I try to pick up what plastic I can, but know that so much of it is getting flushed into the sewer to go into the oceans. So I love the idea of Earth striking back!!! (Did anyone else love that scene in AQUAMAN where the ocean threw back all the garbage back onto the shores of the countries that dumped it there? :p Sorry to digress...it's really bothering me, so I'm so glad to see other people feeling it, too, in these stories! )

So my short list is with mostly that theme, but also because I loved the stories:

For What It's Worth (@LittleStar)

Hell Hath No Fury (@D3athw4lker)

Green Manure (@Perpetual Man)

Dust (@Teresa Edgerton)

We Reap What We Sow (@juelz4sure)

And also Consciousness, but not as we know it.... (@Hugh) because: :)

And my vote is for Post-hoc (@Daysman)--I can't not vote for something with hungry trees! Plus beautiful imagery and interesting idea.

Young Love, @Bob Senior - The path of young love never runs true… to the script.

The Life and Pulse of the World, @Parson - In nature, the smallest ripple can have far-reaching consequences and even its creator can’t see where it will lead.

For What It’s Worth, @LittleStar - On the shore of a polluted sea, an old man grieves for the death of nature. Canute would be proud.

DUST, @Teresa Edgerton - A sooth-sayer who can see the future sees no future for her world.

Below is my Long List, Short List, and *** Favorite ***:

*** The Startling Readings of the EKG - D. A. Xiaolin Spires ***

Virtuosity at Paganini's - Luiglin
Post-hoc - Daysman
Diagnosis - Victoria Silverwolf

Hell Hath No Fury - D3athw4lker
Home - Ivy Moser
From the Notes of an Anatomical Artist, circa 1889 - Simbelmynë
No Need to Panic - mosaix
Cacophony - Cathbad
Frustrating Guests - Vince W
There is music wherever there is rhythm, as there is life wherever there beats a pulse. - Igor Stravinsky - M. Robert Gibson
DUST - Teresa Edgerton

dannymcg — Phaseolus Vulgaris
*Cat’s Cradle — there*
Marvin — Time to Move On
reiver33 — Game Over, Man!
mosaix — No Need to Panic

I had to dig through the Discussion thread to find out what the deal was with all the beans. :ROFLMAO:

I thought we did a great job with the stories this month. Thanks nixie for the inspiring choices. :)

My lists include legions (and could have included more), so here we are:

Shortlist:
Ian Fortytwo, scarpelius, Daysman, Stable, Hugh, johnnyjet, Marvin, Parson, HazelRah, TheDustyZebra

Finalists:
Luiglin, Peter V, Simbelmynë, mosaix.

Four very different stories, but I really enjoyed the style, writing and storyline of each. Peter V's tale grabbed me from first reading till last, and I've voted there. But I'd happily have voted for any of these.

Also: nice little lead, Luiglin! ;)

Thank you, Dusty, for the vote!! And because I'm very polite, I'll re-thank nixie and Simbelmynë too.

ps - friendly reminder to our newer members: the 300 worder happens next month, to go along with the 75 worder.

Firstly, thankyou to Victoria and Vaz for my votes - it’s been actual yonks since I got one of them, let alone two! So it’s been a lovely surprise :D

My short list:
Mosaix
Parson
IanMH
Victoria
CC

And Ivy Moser won the vote from me - beautifully written.

Chrons was down a couple of hours this afternoon. It happened to me right in the middle of reading the stories. I'm talking to the other moderators about extending the deadline for voting.