Stephen Palmer, The Autist

2100…

Data detective Mary Vine is visiting relatives when she uncovers a Chinese programme of AI development active within her own family.

Ulu Okere has only one goal: to help her profoundly disabled brother, whose unique feats of memory inspire her yet perturb the community they live in.

And in a transmuted Thailand, Somchai Chokdee is fleeing his Buddhist temple as an AI-inspired political revolution makes living there too dangerous.

In 2100 life is dominated by vast, unknowable AIs, that run most of the world and transform every society they touch. When suspicions of a Chinese conspiracy seem substantiated, Mary, Ulu and Somchai decide they must oppose it. Yet in doing so they find themselves facing something the world has never seen before…

the-autist-front-cover.jpg

The Autist is out now...

Amazon.
Links for other online sources.

Gary Gibson on The Autist: 'This pretty much hits my sweet spot for intelligent science fiction: a deft twisting together of warring AIs, rogue androids, and the evolution of machine intelligence against a global backdrop that's as thoughtful as it is entertaining.'
Tony Ballantyne on The Autist: 'This is first class SF.'

I rarely read (or want to read) novels, but you now have two on my "to-read" list (the other is Tommy Catkins).

I was trying to ignore The Autist despite finding it intriguing (nothing personal of course, just that I only tend to read short stories fiction-wise), but your Fear of Melody post has put paid to that. It's also made me think you should check out Paul Steel's Carousel Kites album if you haven't already. It's my favourite of 2018, and I wonder what fans of some of the artists you mentioned would think of it.