His Dark Materials (BBC serial)

Yes, I enjoyed it. Except I thought the bear fight was an anti-climax. They didn't even show the kill.
The battle of the bears was an unexpected exception to the amazing CGI the series has otherwise shown.
The fight action looked like it was being performed by a couple of WWF guys wearing bear suits.
I didn't mind that the kill was off-camera. It provided a moment of doubt about the victor.

The battle of the bears was an unexpected exception to the amazing CGI the series has otherwise shown.
The fight action looked like it was being performed by a couple of WWF guys wearing bear suits.
I didn't mind that the kill was off-camera. It provided a moment of doubt about the victor.
And even if it was show after the 21.00 watershed on the BBC it probably was filmed with a PG certificate for the widest audience.
I'd like to see some real footage of Polar Bears fighting to see how the two compared.

I know you shouldn't anthropomorphise but they do look like they are having fun, more than fighting.
And thank you for looking it out for me!

Having watched Logan yesterday evening (I recorded it off the TV at the weekend), I don't understand why Lyra didn't make herself the Queen of the Bears.... ;):)

Having watched Logan yesterday evening (I recorded it off the TV at the weekend), I don't understand why Lyra didn't make herself the Queen of the Bears.... ;):)
Well, if you are going to change elements of the story, lets make it a good'un!!!

Thinking about it, she could have become Lyra Belacquaregia....

*gets coat*

She probably didn't want to be tied down. I'm sure Svalbard is nice, but it might get a bit dull after a while.

Terrifically tense ending to the series!
But I've already read one "slightly disappointed" review, because the end of series one leaves so much waiting to be discovered...
It's like Lord Of The Rings though - one long novel in three volumes. HDM is one long experience in three series, so, perhaps, it was always going to be a bit of an anti-climax last night.
Overall, I loved the adaption, thrilling and brilliantly acted.
Only one question, which I can't remember from the books... if Mrs Coulter was having such trouble separating children from daemons, how come Asriel managed it so easily atop the mountain?

Mrs Coulter was trying to do it and keep the children alive whereas Asriel flat out murders Roger. I prefer Roger's death in the book, much more dramatic.

This series remains spectacular, but I'm still not getting the big picture.
Both of Lyra's parents are allegedly working to save Humanity, but differ in their sinister solutions? How is separating children from their daemon souls a good thing? What threat is posed by these creatures?
Asriel's sacrifice of Roger seemed to open a parallel world portal. At least one inter-world passageway already exists, so what's the point of this immoral act?
Mrs. Coulter and the Magisterium, like all good authoritarians, appear to be focused on gaining absolute control of the world population, which is never a positive thing. Serving the soul also appears to sever free will.
I'll watch the next season in the hope that I can make sense of it all. After all, the fun is in the trying, right? :)

@REBerg
The Magisterium are religious fanatics. They believe that dust is related to original sin.

The connection to puberty and the appearance of affects from dust at that time and the locking of the daemons into one single form suggest that the daemons are connected to original sin. Removing the daemons would be removing original sin.

Mrs. Coulter is attempting to remove original sin.

Asriel is certain that there is a connection between dust and the multi-universes.
The separation of a child from a daemon demonstrates the release of an enormous energy that he believes will open the access to other universes.

His goal; he means to confront and start a war between man and the authority.

One of them wants to remove original sin.

One wants to wage war with heaven(the authority)

Draw your own conclusions.

Asriel's sacrifice of Roger seemed to open a parallel world portal. At least one inter-world passageway already exists, so what's the point of this immoral act?

We know there's already a passageway between worlds, but Asriel doesn't know about it (probably not many people do, other than Boreal) so does have a reason to make his own. I remember some discussion earlier in the thread pointing out that one disadvantage (although I don't think it's a big problem) of bringing in the storyline from Will's Oxford into the first season is that it makes it less surprising when Asriel opens his portal - in the books we don't find out until the second book that there was another portal.

This begins to get into things that are not answered until partway through book two and well into book three.
We know there's already a passageway between worlds, but Asriel doesn't know about it (probably not many people do, other than Boreal) so does have a reason to make his own. I remember some discussion earlier in the thread pointing out that one disadvantage (although I don't think it's a big problem) of bringing in the storyline from Will's Oxford into the first season is that it makes it less surprising when Asriel opens his portal - in the books we don't find out until the second book that there was another portal.
There are other ways than the one Asriel used. However the Magisterium and the Authority don't want people to know about them.
There is also a price for leaving doorways open--which again goes back to the idea that these things are yet to be ironed out in the next book and a half, since they might be mostly half way through the second book with the extra stuff they have thrown in.

It is true that at this point it looks like Roger's death is a plot device used because Lyra was supposed to betray someone.

On the other hand, it should be considered that the portals or doorways that are open are not well documented and it may be in his impatience and his own knowledge he decided to use this as a shortcut to getting there. His logic being that in a war there are casualties.