The Orville - 2.04: Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Kuk5GrE.jpg

I kind of like that the relationship are the long arc, but I don't expect them to take over episodic plots. Why captain, for being a cool guy, wouldn't take a vacation when he doesn't need to? It's not like they're in a galaxy wide war.

The Krill attack didn't make much of the sense. They haven't made the Orville to be the centre piece in the interstellar conflict and the captain certainly isn't someone super interesting. So, why capture him at all?

When the Krill captain asked, Ed explained that he would have access to the Union fleet deployments. Only Admirals could do such a thing. Why Krill's cannot understand that? Not that it would mean anything, because you should learn those from the observations alone.

Captain surely had done the homework as he knew exactly what Krill had done at back in the day. I liked that he decided to be diplomat rather than a warrior. All the ST captains are certainly like that. Funny as it is Kelly seems to be more hostile than Ed. Maybe it's because woman usually aren't afraid of confrontation.

The biggest gesture of diplomacy was to let their spy to go.

2.04 Nothing Left on Earth Excepting the Fishes
It seems as though the more this show resembles Star Trek, the more I like it
Separating the dramatic and humorous story lines worked well. I felt sorry for poor Capt. Mercer, taking another chance on love, only to learn that his new girlfriend is an enemy alien in disguise. I hate it when that happens.
I think that Mercer and Cmdr. Grayson are destined to reunite. The commander's teacher boyfriend sure looks like a redshirt to me.

Lt. Malloy's sudden command aspirations to improve his dateability provided nice comic relief to Mercer's Enemy Mine situation. Malloy's simulated standoff with the Krill captain should have made it clear to the lieutanant that as a ship's captain, he makes an excellent pilot.

Reactions: ctg
This episode sure went through a whole gambit of "enemy tropes" from the "electric torture" to "enemy mine." What was different was Ed is still treating her like the person she impersonated, as if she must still be a part of that fictitious person whether she denies it or not. It also seemed to work.

The B story was weaker. Could no one have the courage to tell him to his face that he will never pass the exam? Or, at least tell him how he needs to change to pass? People can change. However, I doubt he would want to. In the final scene it was clear that he would never forgive as Ed had forgiven.

I told you that the Kryl were the long arc in this series. Now we have a new alien species on the block. I didn't catch who they were so I'll just call them Orcs. It seems that my enemy having an enemy, might make them my friends, but I won't hold my breath on that.

This episode sure went through a whole gambit of "enemy tropes" from the "electric torture" to "enemy mine." What was different was Ed is still treating her like the person she impersonated, as if she must still be a part of that fictitious person whether she denies it or not. It also seemed to work.

The B story was weaker. Could no one have the courage to tell him to his face that he will never pass the exam? Or, at least tell him how he needs to change to pass? People can change. However, I doubt he would want to. In the final scene it was clear that he would never forgive as Ed had forgiven.

I told you that the Kryl were the long arc in this series. Now we have a new alien species on the block. I didn't catch who they were so I'll just call them Orcs. It seems that my enemy having an enemy, might make them my friends, but I won't hold my breath on that.

This new alien species was called the Chaktal,. The Krill destroyed one their colonies because their fanatical religious beliefs and by the look of things, they've made a very bad enemy.

I thought them as monkey men. They looked like they'd escaped the Planet of Apes and on their way they'd upgraded their weapons.
They actually looked more like the Ogrons from Doctor Who, but I thought that if I said that I'd be showing my age.
This new alien species was called the Chaktal,. The Krill destroyed one their colonies because their fanatical religious beliefs and by the look of things, they've made a very bad enemy.
Thanks! What is probably worse than fighting a war against a well-matched enemy, is sitting in the middle between two different well-matched enemies who are fighting a war.

Thanks! What is probably worse than fighting a war against a well-matched enemy, is sitting in the middle between two different well-matched enemies who are fighting a war.
No need to get in the middle. Just sit back and let both sets of aliens have at it.
While occupied with the Chaktal, the Krill may pay less attention to the Union. If the Krill lose, the Chaktal should have no beef with the Union. If the Krill win, they may have significantly less will and resources to devote to another war with the Union.
It's a classic lose-win-win warfare scenario.;)

Interesting development; guys whose fundamental belief places them head & shoulders above all other humanoid or intelligent races/species, now find themselves outmatched by Orc-like guys who just might have the same sense of superiority about themselves. I do not at this time see the Union as being between these two, but as beneath both or either. Perhaps the one might consider giving the Union to the other as prey or such, hoping to buy their 'friendship.' You may do with the Union as it pleases you, just leave us alone- type of thing. Somewhat similar to events during or preceding WWII. :unsure:

No need to get in the middle. Just sit back and let both sets of aliens have at it.
While occupied with the Chaktal, the Krill may pay less attention to the Union. If the Krill lose, the Chaktal should have no beef with the Union. If the Krill win, they may have significantly less will and resources to devote to another war with the Union.
It's a classic lose-win-win warfare scenario.;)

The Krill made a costly mistake in picking a fight with the Chaktal. This is enemy is just as ruthless and they are have very good weapons technology and may even prove to be a more the a match. I suspect that this war is going to go very badly for them and might even push them into the arms of he Union .:)