The Orville - Critical Reactions to Season 1 Trailer and Promotion

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
Not half bad, got great buzz coming out of the upfronts. This trailer is funny. Might make me watch Fox again, but it will be very easy to mess this up and start making fun of sci-fi fans.

That's a very long trailer, are there anymore jokes left that weren't spoiled in it?

It's just Galaxy Quest, but not as we know it, Cap'n. I rarely LOL at the TV, even at Family Guy, but those jokes were old. The Family Guy Star Wars spoof episodes were funnier.

It's not funny enough for a comedy and it's not serious enough to be a drama.

I might have smirked once or twice. Hopefully they're saving the best jokes. I'll give it a shot. If it lives up to the Galaxy Quest comparisons, then great. But I don't have too much hope of that...

If the action adventure component of the show works then, that might be enough to sustain it.

The more Seth sells this show. The more I geek out about it. I am more excited about this show than star trek, just because of the optimistic tone. I really hope Fox is on-board with it. Seeing that they don't like to cancel anything by Seth, they just might let it go on forever:

I'm looking forward to giving this a good trial viewing.
Sci-fi needs a little more comedy and a little less dystopia. I hope this series turns out to be more dramedy than coma

I'm looking forward to giving this a good trial viewing.
Sci-fi needs a little more comedy and a little less dystopia. I hope this series turns out to be more dramedy than coma

Critics say the first episode is funny while the others are more dramedy. If it's got People of Earth feeling. That would set the perfect tone.

I will watch it but
I might have smirked once or twice. Hopefully they're saving the best jokes. I'll give it a shot. If it lives up to the Galaxy Quest comparisons, then great. But I don't have too much hope of that...

The scene where he treaded on the amoeba lcrewman was too much like an unfunny Family Guy joke. IF that's what this show ends up being,Family up in Space ,then it's going to have a very short run.

Orville was on twice afore I realized it wasn't a new Trek series. Seems okay, about the same as later Trekage; the ship is stylish.

I hadn't heard of this!

I will give the first 2 episodes a go, but I am not hopeful.
I am a bit weird with my comedy tastes - in that, I am not keen stuff that's really spoofy, rather than straight comedy.
All that "Naked Gun 2 1/2" and those endless films spoofing up stuff like Scream/Teen Horrors "I know what you did last Friday the 13th" "Loaded Weapon" and so on, I just don't find it particularly funny. And the Orville kind of feels like it might be a bit like that. The only spoofy humour film I genuinely like I suspect, is Spaceballs. I just find it an incredibly lazy style of movie - let's take the efforts of someone who actually worked hard on something, then just fill it up with really stupid childish jokes, and fart gags, Because being original is just so totes hard, you know dude.

I will amend what I like to include the British TV Series "The Mighty Boosh" It's more surreal comedy than anything I suspect, but at the same time, it is spoofing SFF/Horror a little too. Speaking of which - for some reason, Channel 4 in the UK gave Noel Fielding his own comedy series, presumably because of the Duo behind the Boosh, and starring as it's main 2 hapless heroes, Noel was the younger, much better looking half, with the stylish hair and unusual outfits, often of such eccentricity, and oddness, that one could almost be convinced that back in the early 90's, Russel Brand knocked up a slightly crazy Peacock, and Noel was born of that unusual union!
Don't get me wrong, Noel is great, and he can be brilliantly funny, he is awesome in the Boosh, he was brilliant as the strange Goth, Richmond, who lived in the server room, and kind of floated across the floor like Dracula. And on comedy game shows like the BBC's never mind the Buzzcocks - but, I had long suspected that Julian Barrett was the creative genius/script writer of the Boosh duo, and Noel's "Luxury Comedy" proved it, without Julian's writing and input (the show was written by Noel and some other guy) it just didn't have the zap of "Mighty Boosh" which was a shame.

Poor Julian hasn't done much since the Mighty Boosh, but the other week I watched a brilliant new British Comedy Film called Mindhorn, Julian Barrett co-wrote the Screenplay and also starred as "Mindhorn" himself, the Actor Richard Thorncroft. The premise is, that in the early 80's Thorncroft was a huge star, playing Mindhorn, an ex Secret Agent who got captured by the Russians, during which he lost his right eye, and the Russians gave him an implant that can literally see the "Truth" he promptly escapes, and becomes a Police Detective on the Isle of Man, as his "eye of truth" helps him solve mysteries - a proper 80's style daft but fun "superhero" type show. After it finished, his career fell apart for the usual reasons, and now 30 years later, murders are being committed on the Isle of Man seemingly by a mysterious villain called "the Kestrel" who keeps phoning the Manx Police, insists he is being framed, and will only speak to Mindhorn, he is a little unbalanced after being in a crash when a child whilst Mindhorn was on TV, which killed his parents and he latched onto the Character and believes him to be real. It's a really enjoyable film, Julian is awesome.
It's a huge shame, that Noel is the one being feted, whilst Julian's superior writing talent at least gets ignored.

The Trailer strongly felt like live action Family Guy. Not so much Seth's voice, it was identical humour - and family guy as much as I once loved it, it's imho at the end of the line, theres nothing original anymore, it's time to give it a nice funeral, say some nice words, and get back on with life.

The Trailer strongly felt like live action Family Guy. Not so much Seth's voice, it was identical humour - and family guy as much as I once loved it, it's imho at the end of the line, theres nothing original anymore, it's time to give it a nice funeral, say some nice words, and get back on with life.

This is a really good science fiction show. Please, give it a chance.:)

This is a really good science fiction show. Please, give it a chance.:)
I've given it 9 episodes!

Is it "a really good science fiction show" with jokes or is it a comedy show with some science fiction elements? Is it going to be jokes only about toilet humour, unusual sexual preferences, gender identity and racial stereotyping, or is it going to be clever allegorical tales throwing a new light upon serious issues in modern day politics and culture? Is it actually set 200 years in the future, or are these just people from LA in 2017 re-making Galaxy Quest? The show needs to decide these things instead of switching weekly from one extreme to the other.

I've given it 9 episodes!

Is it "a really good science fiction show" with jokes or is it a comedy show with some science fiction elements? Is it going to be jokes only about toilet humour, unusual sexual preferences, gender identity and racial stereotyping, or is it going to be clever allegorical tales throwing a new light upon serious issues in modern day politics and culture? Is it actually set 200 years in the future, or are these just people from LA in 2017 re-making Galaxy Quest? The show needs to decide these things instead of switching weekly from one extreme to the other.
Seems like the answer to all of these questions is "yes."

It's a soap, s'fars I can tell. Character-driven space soap. I watch no TV shows.. cept this one, and only because it's on at the right time, well, there is Coronation Street... and it's not too different.