Man jumps into volcano

Tuhmu

Hi everyone! I've been trying to come across the title of a book that I remember reading in High School. I only remember a few details and unfortunately what I remember hasn't been enough to locate it.

## Questions must have as much detail as possible, including:
  • Media (short story collection, magazine, novel, website) Novel
  • Original year of publication/airing, or at least when you have read/seen this work of fiction. "Read when I was a child" is not as useful as "Read when I was a child (early 1980s)" I read it in the year range of 2004-2006 but it was an older book, maybe 80's - 90's?
  • Major themes The major theme I think was that there were different tribes/groups of people that are each affiliated with a power or its specifically tied to their people (similar to avatar the last airbender). Example, there's a "frost lord" and a woman that has basic fire power.
  • Plot (as much as you can remember) All I can remember is that one of the characters goes on a journey to a volcano. On the way he has to pass through the land of the frost lords. Eventually he jumps into the volcano, reason being love or filling a prophecy I think?
  • Setting Fictional Universe
  • Characters (names, descriptions)I seem to remember there being 3 major characters. One of them was a woman from a fire village/tribe, which if I remember right, the tribe had their powers subdued. The frost lords held the real power.
  • Another was a man, who I cant remember if he has powers or not, but he eventually jumps into a volcano after falling in love with _______?
  • I think there was a third man, a fighter type guy, who pairs up with the volcano jumper and the fire lady.
  • Another character is the frost lord, who I don't remember being a major character.... He's able to summon a frost dragon? I believe....in addition to other basic frost powers.
  • The language you read or heard the story in English
  • Details about the cover, if applicable A man who is posing with a woman standing in front of him. The woman has fire coming out of one of her hands.
  • Target audience/age group Adult or young adult. There were scenes involving sexual intercourse; I'm not sure what age group that starts becoming acceptable. I checked out the book from a high school library.
  • Ideas that you have already ruled out (for example, if you know the story was not written by Asimov, then tell us so that we can save time) ## I really don't remember anything other than the above, and cannot recall who the author was.
If you don't know the publication date, was it a hardback or a paperback? Was it in library? It may have been old when you read it. Hardback. High school library. Was an older book, date range of 70's-80's maybe?

Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide. I just randomly remembered this book while reading another novel and have not been successful in my search.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not familiar with your book, but thanks for following our question guidance (y)

You've put plenty of detail there so (hopefully!) somebody who reads a lot of fantasy can help.

Thanks lol. Hopefully it helps with my search!

I gave your link a try but still no luck.

I feel like I'm searching for the wrong words but at the same time I cannot think of any other details related to that book.

Hi everyone! I've been trying to come across the title of a book that I remember reading in High School. I only remember a few details and unfortunately what I remember hasn't been enough to locate it.

## Questions must have as much detail as possible, including:
  • Media (short story collection, magazine, novel, website) Novel
  • Original year of publication/airing, or at least when you have read/seen this work of fiction. "Read when I was a child" is not as useful as "Read when I was a child (early 1980s)" I read it in the year range of 2004-2006 but it was an older book, maybe 80's - 90's?
  • Major themes The major theme I think was that there were different tribes/groups of people that are each affiliated with a power or its specifically tied to their people (similar to avatar the last airbender). Example, there's a "frost lord" and a woman that has basic fire power.
  • Plot (as much as you can remember) All I can remember is that one of the characters goes on a journey to a volcano. On the way he has to pass through the land of the frost lords. Eventually he jumps into the volcano, reason being love or filling a prophecy I think?
  • Setting Fictional Universe
  • Characters (names, descriptions)I seem to remember there being 3 major characters. One of them was a woman from a fire village/tribe, which if I remember right, the tribe had their powers subdued. The frost lords held the real power.
  • Another was a man, who I cant remember if he has powers or not, but he eventually jumps into a volcano after falling in love with _______?
  • I think there was a third man, a fighter type guy, who pairs up with the volcano jumper and the fire lady.
  • Another character is the frost lord, who I don't remember being a major character.... He's able to summon a frost dragon? I believe....in addition to other basic frost powers.
  • The language you read or heard the story in English
  • Details about the cover, if applicable A man who is posing with a woman standing in front of him. The woman has fire coming out of one of her hands.
  • Target audience/age group Adult or young adult. There were scenes involving sexual intercourse; I'm not sure what age group that starts becoming acceptable. I checked out the book from a high school library.
  • Ideas that you have already ruled out (for example, if you know the story was not written by Asimov, then tell us so that we can save time) ## I really don't remember anything other than the above, and cannot recall who the author was.
If you don't know the publication date, was it a hardback or a paperback? Was it in library? It may have been old when you read it. Hardback. High school library. Was an older book, date range of 70's-80's maybe?

Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide. I just randomly remembered this book while reading another novel and have not been successful in my search.
Oh my god I made an account specifically so I could reply to you. Long shot if you’re still on here, but I read this book too and cannot find it anywhere. Did you ever find the title?

Love the detail; alas it did not bring back any memories I don't have.

For me it was evocative of Zenna Henderson's "The People", but no match otherwise.

But I found several stories I'd long sought by using the Book Search Resources pinned to the top of the page.

Sometimes (well, all the time here on the book searches, right?) you don't remember a title or author, but you aren't ever gonna forget something like "started controlling my motions and had me performing a turn of phrase I had thought anatomically impossible".

Typing those into the Unz review might get you interesting results like "The 400-Million-Year Itch" by Steven Utley and "The Adults" by Larry Niven -- caught my attention! -- but might also yield what you're searching for.

Last edited:
I FOUND IT EVERYONE. It’s called “In Legend Born” by Laura Resnick (1998). It’s from her series “Chronicles of Sirkara”

OP probably isn’t here anymore, but if theres anyone else ever searching for this book, it’s finally been located :)

I FOUND IT EVERYONE. It’s called “In Legend Born” by Laura Resnick (1998). It’s from her series “Chronicles of Sirkara”

OP probably isn’t here anymore, but if theres anyone else ever searching for this book, it’s finally been located :)

Oh! Apropos of nothing, Laura Resnick is the daughter of Mike Resnick, the creator of Galaxy's Edge magazine.

Another writing Resnick? Related to master tear-jerker Mike Renick?
How good is that?