Why Are so Many of the Great Writers in Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Falling into Neglect ?

If goodreads is used as any kind of ranking in terms of validity or taste could the last person to leave please turnoff the light?

Popular never meant good, see UB40...

Never said it was. Taste is personal and subjective. It was just evidence to show an indication of how well read the various authors were compared to each other. Someone is claiming that one author is more 'influential'. Actually having read the author is the first step in trying to make sense of that claim, as I'd suggest as a hypothesis, the more well-read an author is, the more influential - whether for good or ill - they will be.

*Rubs his pot belly and looks confused*
"Your point being?"

:)

This is a bit OT

I only do this on Fridays, my cheat day. Except that I replace coke with beer.

Honestly couldn't do that more than one day in a row. It's the curse of eating healthier, you need variety.

Just ask yourself if the name Scrooge is known to the general public--and ditto for Frankenstein. Compare them with characters in Pride and Prejudice and Great Expectations.
Or, check how many derivative works of Frankenstein exist vs Pride and Prejudice. I am surprised this is even considered debatable since it is so obvious. I bet Chris Frayling would be gobsmacked to even see this being debated.
We don't know how GoodReads reviews are affected by school curriculums. How likely is Lovecraft part of any school programs vs the other authors? It would be much more telling to see which authors are read on their own. The fact that no one, including academics, could bother to post examples of Hemingwayesque suggests a lack of enthusiasm--and enthusiasm for an artist's work is primary to what I am talking about. Mandatory reading in a school program is not.

Did you know the movie Clueless is based on Austen's Emma? Or that I Walk with a Zombie is a version of Jane Eyre? The kind of influence an Austen or Hemingway exert may fly under the radar more easily than the influence of a Lovecraft, more subtle because it doesn't require massive special effects but shows in prose quality and choices of setting and those made in telling a story.

1) Don't underestimate the influence of secular (i.e. non-academic) critics of mid-century America like Edmund Wilson and Clifton Fadiman who had quite a bit of influence on sizable sections of the reading public.

2) Hemingway's influence in one direction was about pared down prose. When he showed up in the 1920s his prose almost immediately became the prose du jour then stayed influential for at least 40 years; writers looking for serious attention either began writing like him or, put off by him, purposely wrote differently (maybe Faulkner, for example, though I don't know that Faulkner was particularly put off by him). Writers who looked to him as an example include John O'Hara, John Steinbeck, probably Erskine Caldwell to some extent, Norman Mailer, Raymond Carver; I haven't read Richard Price or Robert Stone, but suspect from what I've read about them they are sons of Papa; I have read Cormac McCarthy and I'd definitely call him a son of Papa, at least in his later work like The Road.

3) Hemingway influenced a raft of hard-boiled writers like Horace McCoy, W.R. Burnett, Dorothy B. Hughes (reading a novel by her now and it stems from the noir suspense novels that were influenced by Hemingway), James M. Cain, Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, and all their descendants like Ross Macdonald, James Crumley, Sara Paretsky, James Ellroy, etc. Directly or indirectly this also affected sf/f/h: Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Fred Brown, Leigh Brackett, C. M. Kornbluth, and many other notables wrote in the vernacular common to their day which was one of Hemingway's lasting influences on prose, choosing the informal voice over the more formal voice of writers like Henry James.

4) The influence of Hemingway may be harder to trace because his writing style was a different kind of flamboyant than HPL's that most writers wanting serious attention didn't/don't want to mimic too directly while trying to find their own voice, whereas for the playfulness of early HPL imitators trying to capture his style was part of the fun. (Which was also part of the fun for those parodying Hemingway, like E. B. White.) Further, because Hemingway didn't toss consonants into a pile to create an alien name it becomes harder to trace internal evidence of influence; it's unlikely many writers will use the name Jake Barnes or Richard Jordan in fiction (the latter maybe for multiple reasons now).

5) Lovecraft's major influence seems to come from movies and video games. While his work has not fared well in film with a few exceptions (Re-animator, The Resurrected), it's informed many films that aren't too directly tied to his stories (Alien, much of Guillermo Del Toro's work).

6) I think you make a mistake in your conclusion about enthusiasm for their subject: The audiences for these two writers may overlap some (he says, raising his hand) but not all that much and the audience for Hemingway -- who hasn't been out of print since initial publication (a fairly rare feat and especially when that includes a collection of short stories) -- may be less likely to be vocal about it on the Internet than Lovecraft's fans. Hemingway may not be as obviously influential at this time, but I think his influence is more pervasive on a deeper level of creativity.

Frankly, if you're strictly talking mass audience popularity, you might be right at the moment. You could make similar arguments about previously popular writers. But if you're talking long-term influence and retaining a massive readership, I'd put my money on Hemingway.

Randy M.

Last edited:
I am not asking for any evidence (because I realize the difficulty in acquiring it). I said fantasy, historically speaking, is the most popular genre and you find fantasy elements in classics of world literature dating back to Gilgamesh. I consider this a non-controversial point. It is a fact that in the 20th century with the rise of literary criticism as a profession for non-writers there was a split--populism became some kind of negative. "Important" literature was that which spoke about mundane reality. I am going to be the last person to disagree with Lovecraft when he said that New York publishers selected writers who satisfied their tastes, not that of public sentiment. If someone here wants to refute him-by all means, they can do so. Not a hill I want to climb.
Personally I am not a fan of Lovecraft's prose fiction either, but I do notice his name comes up a lot more than Hemingway (outside of school reference). Lovecraft enjoyed no such boost as required reading in school. I think it is a legitimate question--why does a user-accessed database like wikipedia have a more robust section on Lovecraftian than Hemingwayesque?
Anyone who believes 20th century slice of life writers, or 19th century equivalents, are more influential on popular culture are the ones engaged in trolling. I mean honestly, Oliver or Fagin more famous literary figure than Scrooge? Very funny.

many a book has been written devoted to Mary, possibly because she is so unprepossessing in the original book and they want to Cinderella-ize her and provide a happy ending.
Not me. In my Pride & Prejudice sequel, Pride & Prejudice II: Bloody Mary, Mary becomes a serial killer seeking unwary clergy and favored sisters to exact her revenge upon. ;)

I am not asking for any evidence (because I realize the difficulty in acquiring it).

KGeo777 said:
I need evidence to counter the opinion, and it has not been provided.

So which is it?

Also, it's not particularly difficult to acquire evidence, since it is all around us if we are willing to look ... or listen to people who pay attention to genres one might not be interested in oneself.

For the record, I don't like Hemingway and have read a lot of Lovecraft (and love several of his stories). Dickens and Austen are big favorites of mine, but I don't read the books that rewrite Austen. However, though speculative fiction is by far my greatest love, I do read a lot of historical romances because they make restful bedtime reading. And when I use my Kindle Unlimited subscription, as I quite often do, type in Romance then Historical then Regency then last 30 days, I have to wade through and past a dozen or so recent P & P retellings to get to what I want. That's like a dozen or so new ones every month, from that one source of books. If I actually went looking for them, who knows how many more I would find?

I have lately come across a few books at the library and online that are derivative of Frankenstein, mostly written from the perspective of a female character or a descendent of Victor Frankenstein. The last Jekyll and Hyde story I remember encountering was a movie several years ago, Mary Reilly (itself based on a novel by Valerie Martin) which focussed on a housemaid in Jekyll's house.

I suspect that feminist (or at least female-centric) re-imagings make up a big part of what is being produced in the way of books inspired by the classics at the present time. (Suddenly wondering what a feminist take on Lovecraft would be like.)

Sometimes you have to look in places (in a literary sense) where you wouldn't ordinarily go.

I said I am not asking for evidence-but if someone wanted to change my opinion they would need to provide evidence (relating to what I was talking about). By "need" I did not mean I was specifically needing the evidence. I can live without it.
But then much of the discussion is about interpretation of meaning and whether one takes a comment to be specific or vague. If I say "I don't see Joyce being discussed very much" I don't mean in Ireland-I mean in the area I am located and the media I am exposed to.
I don't think I am making any absolute statements other than the enduring popularity of fantasy in literature or the impact of Frankenstein vs Pride and Prejudice or Scrooge as the most famous character of Dickens. Hemingway vs Lovecraft? I admit I am being audacious--you can say it is apples and oranges-even the lack of entries for Hemingwayesque could be due to the word being something of a tongue-twister. Lovecraftian is easier to say.
I agree that feminist re-imaginings account for some of the new material--i.e. the Shelley biopic (which I heard from Frankenphiles is not very good--but it is ironic that the director is a woman from Saudi Arabia since the novel has the subplot about the Arab girl in the cottage).

(Suddenly wondering what a feminist take on Lovecraft would be like.)

Caitlin R. Kiernan's work, for one. And Kij Johnson last year (?) put out a novella based on HPL's The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath that I suspect is feminist. I'll find out as soon as I gear up for a reread of TD-QoUK since it's been a loooong time.

Randy M.

Fantasy most popular genre? Surely it’s crime / thriller?

What about Romance?

Also as I stated above when did popular mean good, one of the worst writers I have had the misfortune to read has been Dan Brown...

Historically fantasy is the most popular genre. Even the ancient Greek novel (Daphnis and Chloe, An Ephesian Tale) mixed romance, adventure, and fantasy (though one might say the religious element was not considered fantastic in the way we regard it today). Sure would be easier if I could remember who made that quote about it being the dominant genre until the 20th century!

Am I the only one who is completely tired of this argument? ..... Let's put it to bed. It has reached the place where no one's mind is going to be changed and personal attacks are likely not far away.

Please, let's move on!

Just having fun with wayward thoughts. What makes a story or author popular, the ensuing impact or the original words. People know about classic stories through the impact they had in the public's mind, but the author's name, even the story itself can be forgotten. If the impact of the story survives the test of time, does it matter that people are reading them or not? We don't need to keep reading about the Wright Brothers airplane to use the word airplane in a conversation.

The 20th century saw the splitting of art into two camps--art for the elite and art for the public.
Everything else has been divided on the reality of the elite vs the public, I can't see any reason why art has been excluded.

The fact that Scrooge is a widely recognised character proves nothing either way.

Scrooge is a real state of mind which perfectly expresses a type of behavior. The concept of scrooge is totally accepted by the world as a valid description of a way of life. Are there any Hemingway names that got absorbed into the language? Mary Shelley's concept of Frankenstein is not only brought to life on Halloween as a costume and then retired to a dusty shelf until the next Halloween comes around again. It's the monster we create out of our lives everyday that we never want to face, even if it's only a plastic straw floating in the ocean.

More people know the name Moby Dick than Captain Ahab or Herman Melville.

There are many intersections going through this conversation. One is reading vs seeing. Is this conversation limited to only reading material as a way of proving it is still popular? But what of the fact that these stories have launched characters and concepts that have been absorbed into the popular consciousness that have lasted a hundred years. Jules Verne is still thought as an inventor when all he did was extrapolate existing technologies into valid avenues of discussion. People remember his war machines but he was a never a champion of the mass production of his devices as a means of waging war. I don't think anyone is sending their Valentine a Lovecraft story even though the name has the word love in it. People might not know what he was writing about but they know it doesn't have anything about love in it..

I am very impressed by the way the romance industry supports any author willing to take the time and effort to write a good story. Unlike the world of science fiction where there are endless hurdles placed in the way of anyone who attempts to publish a story. If you want to make money writing a science fiction book, get a lot of money first, then publish, then use all the money advertising the book, it might get noticed.

Being remembered is a sign of being recognized. It doesn't matter what started the road to recognition, only that it makes a lasting impression in the public's mind. Does a book have to be read to continue it's recognition into the future? Sometimes a story gets famous because of it's core values, like Casa Blanca, a love story. The backdrop is WWII, everyone knows the love story but there are people who have no idea who won WWII. They both happened at the same time and interact with each other. Then there is For Whom The Bell Tolls. I think that bell stopped ringing a long time ago.

@Robert Zwilling
I did not make the statement you ascribe to me in your 7.28 post. That statement was made by someone else and I disputed it, as the record clearly shows. This is an unfortunate misrepresentation of my position in the somewhat tortuous discussions in this thread and I will be grateful if you can clarify this. Thankyou.

I concur with hitmouse. Someone else was making that argument.

But I hope we have moved on. Or maybe this thread has run its course.

I quoted a statement made by KGeo777 from a quote of it made by @hitmouse who disagreed with the statement, not noticing that it makes it look like something hitmouse had said. Thought the thread was dead, simply copied the statement from where I saw it.

I concur with hitmouse. Someone else was making that argument.

But I hope we have moved on. Or maybe this thread has run its course.

Thanks to all of you. This turned out to be a better thread then I could have hoped for . :cool:(y)