Delilah Dawson on writing full time

Juliana

Juliana Spink Mills. "No capes!"
Supporter
Another one of Delilah Dawson's great Twitter threads, this time on the nitty gritty of what it means to quit your day job to write full time.
(I know for sure we've discussed day jobs vs writing full time more than once, but I couldn't find any of the threads I wanted, so apologies for bringing up an already-discussed subject!)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Some good points, but I've also replied:

Just another lesson learned here - don't just think "day job" think CAREER.

A basic pay day job can be back-breaking and exhausting. A CAREER can be hard work as well, but offers much better pluses.
In other words, focus on a day-time career and treat the writing as a hobby outside of that.

It's harder to write when facing a financial car crash. Financial stability is easier to maintain with a career.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience!

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
I'm another who uses my career - and it is one - to support writing time. But my writing is also a career and I'm careful to keep progressing down that route. It's now a dual career and I love that. Even if one takes the same number of hours and brings in a quarter of the other. :D

allmywires

Read this thread earlier and it really spoke to me for some reason. Went through a mini writing crisis the other day (what's new?!) and realised I need to rediscover the joy of it, not keep ploughing through in the hope that I'm going to somehow unearth a bestseller. I'm ok with having my day job (career?) and writing on the side. Just got to stop punishing myself for not writing in my every spare moment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brian G Turner Self-Publishing 0
S Critiques 12
L Voyager (VOY) 1