(Found) 60s era novel with small statured, fast moving Native-like people who find out they evolved from crew in a spaceship

Blythe

I read this book in the 80s, a paperback off my parents’ bookshelf, so I assume it was 1960s era. I can remember how it was set up, but as the story evolved the characters find an overgrown forest, (and I think the hull of the ship?) They find out that the forest is overgrown hydroponics, that they are descendants / evolved from the original crew (maybe a mutiny or accident?). Some of the original crew descendants still run the ship and are aware of the native-like group living apart from them. One of the characters who is described as slow and tall is actually one of the bridge crew infiltrating the native group, he is shorter than normal and had to practice to make himself move and talk fast —because the native group is quick and small, and he succeeded only somewhat in matching them.

Now, this is a long shot - could it be Non-Stop by Brian W. Aldiss (1958)? I read it roughly when it came out, and the details are somewhat fuzzy I see some similarities, especially in the accelerated time sense.

That's Aldiss's Hothouse / The Long Afternoon of Earth you're thinking of, maybe? But I'm not sure that's what Blythe is looking for...

That's Aldiss's Hothouse / The Long Afternoon of Earth you're thinking of, maybe? But I'm not sure that's what Blythe is looking for...
No, not Hothouse, spiders with orbital capacity and brain fungi. Definitely Non-Stop.Non-Stop (novel) - Wikipedia (I read a lot of Aldiss back then, even if I only met him in '66, so plots can get confused, but this one's pretty clear.

It was Starship by Aldiss, thank you!! The updated version is Non-stop -according to a note on Amazon Aldiss apparently wanted to re-release it and edited 48 pages :). Thank you again!!

I've read non-stop but not starship can only find a German kindle version anyone know where I can find an English version to buy digital not an actual hard copy

I've read non-stop but not starship can only find a German kindle version anyone know where I can find an English version to buy digital not an actual hard copy
The Internet Archive looks like it has two archived versions (or maybe two locations) of Aldiss' Starship.

URL 1
URL 2
The covers match ISFDB but not the ones on Goodreads or Amazon. They're all 224 pages, though, not 48 pages. I've not read it to know it's a match, so there it is.

(Or, as James Blish would say in "Common Time", there they are.)

Back