YA or not to YA

AnyaKimlin

Confuddled
For me, as a writer and a reader, it has always felt like a frustrating distinction. A good story is a good story and a good character is a good character.

It's a big part of why I don't do much with my work. I'm not good at pigeonholing it. Mayhem became a fantasy because Angus had to listen to a conversation and it seemed a good idea to turn him into a bird. It's not really a YA book even though my protagonist is YA. My protagonists have ranged in age from 17 to 68. I've not approached writing them much differently. I'm currently writing a mystery but I'm not really doing anything differently to how I write my fantasy.

sknox

Member and remember
I started reading from the public library as a teenager, in the mid-1960s. There was no YA section, but there was Juvenile section. I think before that (pre-WWII?) it was all just Children's Literature. I'm mildly wondering when YA replaced Juvenile, but that's a side-thread.

I'm wondering if there was the same kind of gender bias back when the name was different. Were women pushed to write Juvenile? I do recall a very real split in boys books versus girls books. Hardy Boys versus Nancy Drew, to make an anachronistic example. I suspect most girl book authors were female and most boy book authors were male.

But with SF (fantasy barely existed for me until the later 60s), I saw no such division. There were some SF books for youngsters (Heinlein, mostly), but for the most part I read SF with no awareness at all of a particular work being written to a particular age or gender. To my young eyes (and my old memory), SF was indifferent to such things. It was about stories and ideas. I cannot help feeling the current awareness--even preoccupation--with age and gender is not necessarily an improvement.

AnyaKimlin

Confuddled
I'm wondering if there was the same kind of gender bias back when the name was different. Were women pushed to write Juvenile? I do recall a very real split in boys books versus girls books. Hardy Boys versus Nancy Drew, to make an anachronistic example. I suspect most girl book authors were female and most boy book authors were male.
t.
In the case of your particular example they were both syndicates. Although Franklin W Dixon and Carolyn Keene are male and female names the actual authors seem to have been both male and female with the majority being female.

sknox

Member and remember
I learned they were not individuals some time ago. Neither was Ellery Queen. Seems to have been a pattern back in the day. WRT to the OP, though, I was wondering if women were pushed toward "juvenile" or if that is a recent phenom, peculiar to this strange YA thing.