Hunting for an impossible word

scarpelius

I am in need for a word that is close enough to describe both change and stability. Wandering on the internet I found that the best situation which describe both is a dynamic equilibrium. But that is too sci-ency and hard to add it in a normal conversation. I've also find some concepts in philosophy, Aristotle entelecheia and energeia, those two sound snobbish enough to be put in a conversation, but they do not define what I need.
I do not have the space to invent/redefine a word for my purpose, it has to he something already known and easy to explain to reader in a few words/phrases.

I haven't got a word for you but, instead, a number of questions? (I like to be helpful.... :))
  1. Is it a purely descriptive word you're seeking, or do you want a word that would be used to talk up (or talk down) the situation you're describing? (So straight talking or spin?)
  2. Are you trying to describe a constitutional/political situation, or one referring to something more real world (real, that is, in the world of your story)? (I'm asking, because the context may not be strictly appropriate for the word that turns up, risking confusion in the reader's mind.)
  3. Are you looking for something that remains stable during change (i.e. its very stability permits change to progress without problems)... or a change whose nature does not undermine the stability of what is being changed?

Counterpoise can mean both a state of balance and the force which counters another to create that balance, and is itself both active in changing things yet brings stability.

You could create an oxymoron of your own which would be instantly intelligible, eg "change unchanging" or "stable-mutability".

And not a word, but it might be of interest, there's a famous quote in Lampedusa's The Leopard which translates as "If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change."

@Ursa major is a dream state, result of a blow to the head MC gets.
The setting: space ship on route to a mining exploitation. Aside the MC (which the second in command) there are 5 others crew members. In his dream he needs to overcome several obstacles to reach the blue light to warn the rest of the crew about a threat. One of the obstacle is a 2 headed monster, having a real life correspondent in 2 crew members which are inseparable twins.
The monster ask for password and I decided to be something that define both of them. One twin is not that smart, but very rigorous and stubborn, respecting the rules to the letter. The other one is highly intelligent, always in search of a challenge, with little to no respect for the rules and in a constant defiant attitude.

Does it have to be a one-word password?

An oxymoron compound such "rigid flexibility" or "rule-keeping breaker" might work.

Alternatively, you could invent a word which is explicable by riffing off something that is a synonym for twin, eg "self-unsame".

@Victoria Silverwolf I've flirted with that idea for a while, but in my mind it tied too much to the stability rather than change.
@Graymalkin to me, measured express the stability
@The Judge I might go that way in the end, looking for twin synonyms i come up with bifold
Hence he adopts an attitude to authority which is bifold - authorities may tell us truths which we cannot ourselves apprehend, or they may hoodwink us with nonsense.

Hm, I'm thinking of 1984's construction of "double-speak." --- so "double-minded" or "paired-logic" or "harmonious-dissonance."

"bifold" would have to be explained in some way or most will first think of a door that's hinged in the middle.

One twin is not that smart, but very rigorous and stubborn, respecting the rules to the letter. The other one is highly intelligent, always in search of a challenge, with little to no respect for the rules and in a constant defiant attitude.
So in D&D alignment terms one is Lawful and the other is Chaotic.

Hmmmm? Lawfully chaotic? :unsure:

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying this but I think you are trying to express two different attitudes/views/approaches to authority?

It seems to me that the twins are bipartisan.

Thanks everyone for suggestions.
In the end I've solved the problem by avoiding the question. Since is a dream, I've dissolved the environment, and washed the 2 headed monster with a big wave which did not hit the MC.

LE:
I think I found a nice combination, the MC is going to refer to twins as "oxymorons" or "walking oxymorons" with emphasis on the second syllable :p
Nicely done, I don't think I would have thought of this term without your help. Thanks again.

Just a few thoughts... Basalmorphosis. Transitory permanence. Anchored variance. Immutable permutation. Revolving stagnation.

Lol.
Try to mock someone with those words and not sound like Sheldon from The Big-Bang Theory :LOL: