Question for mods

Paul Meccano

Meccano Magic
Hi all

If I have handed a submission to a magazine, can I have a section critiqued here without flawing my potential, forward looking contractual-obligations with the magazine. If so great. If not, is there a closed critique section? I really need some feedback that I will not get from magazines, god bless there busy souls. but it is still out to one awaiting response.

I'm not sure what % counts as "published" for a magazine story, so hopefully someone else can answer that, but ...

If so great. If not, is there a closed critique section?

"Writing Group" is open only to members with 100 posts, which you have, and cannot be seen by the public.

I'm also going to move this to General Writing Discussion, as this board is for actual critique requests only.

Okay,
Thanks HB, I'll post there once organised.
Yeah, am unsure too. Don't really want to take a chance and it may take a while before it's rejected. :)

If I have handed a submission to a magazine, can I have a section critiqued here without flawing my potential, forward looking contractual-obligations with the magazine.

You really should look to get a piece critiqued *before* you submit it, if that's what you want - otherwise instead of bolstering your confidence it's more likely to undermine it. :)

There is a private Writing Group for members with over a certain number of posts - I think 100 . Can you access it? https://www.sffchronicles.com/forum/writing-group/

However, as above, only post there before submitting, not after. :)

I agree with Brian here. The time to get feedback is long before you submit anything to a publisher, especially a paying one. Once you've submitted, the only feedback that counts is the one that comes from the publisher's editor.

I agree guys.
Hindsight and all that could be a way to put it but I'd rather say that we live and learn. It is no harm, I'm learning, adapting and have people like you to help.

Before next time though, huh. :)

This place is such a goldmine of experience, and the folks here are so generous in sharing their own hard-earned lessons, that you'll not go too far wrong if you use the forums to improve your writing. The critique sections, and especially the Writing Group, are just brilliant. Hard to swallow, sometimes, but there's no gain without pain, and on the whole we're more gentle than a publisher would be. The one thing you can be pretty sure of is that the people doing the critiquing here do have your best interests at heart, and they won't flatter without good cause, unlike many friends and family.