Early Magazines in Your Collection (Astounding, Galaxy, etc.)

Here are the 1956 issues and a 1955 issue that I missed when I took the previous picture. Dave, there seem to be quite a few Simak stories in this box of Galaxy issues that arrived today.

The 1958 issues. It's interesting to me that (to judge from the type size) the publisher thought Willy Ley would be such a draw. Thoughts?
View attachment 50575

Willy Ley WAS a big name in those days!
He was an authentic space and rocket scientist who had a flair for public relations.
He wrote and sold books himself -- science, of course -- I have one or two of them, that I bought when a teen because I just could not get enough of space and spaceships and astronomy and rockets, etc. He wrote articles for the sf magazines now and then, and the sf fans ate them up, because they were avid for space, etc.
And, by the way: I don't know how the relationship started, but Mr. Ley and Cliff Simak were in touch multiple times -- Mr. Ley contributed a number of articles for Cliff's science column in the Minneapolis newspaper -- and also wrote articles for the science popularizations anthologies that Cliff edited in those days.

I particularly like the cover of the Feb., 1959 issue -- the one with two robots fixing another robot -- the artist on that was Wally Wood, one of my favorite comic book artists -- it's a little unusual to see his work outside that genre.

The August 1956 issue has a review of The Return of the King (very favorable). My impression is that the magazine didn't review the first two Lord of the Rings volumes. Does anyone know if it did?

The August 1956 issue has a review of The Return of the King (very favorable). My impression is that the magazine didn't review the first two Lord of the Rings volumes. Does anyone know if it did?

How could they have reviewed Return but not Fellowship and the The Two Towers ? :unsure:

I particularly like the cover of the Feb., 1959 issue -- the one with two robots fixing another robot -- the artist on that was Wally Wood, one of my favorite comic book artists -- it's a little unusual to see his work outside that genre.

It's very good artwork. :cool:(y)

I'm a HUGE fan of Philip Dick and collect anything that he has written or has been written about him. I have a pretty extensive collection of old pulps that published his stories. There's just something about reading original material published in the original media. Call it nostalgia if you want!

I'm a HUGE fan of Philip Dick and collect anything that he has written or has been written about him. I have a pretty extensive collection of old pulps that published his stories. There's just something about reading original material published in the original media. Call it nostalgia if you want!
Warm welcome to the forum Kris. I hope you stick around and enjoy your time here.

This thread, specifically, is to post and comment on particular issues of old magazines from your personal collection that are notable for a specific reason - feel free to post if there's a specific issue you value and tell us why - is it valuable in monetary terms, of have some other personal value to you? I've listed a few that are valuable to me (e.g Aldiss' first story), though they are not the most valuable. My most valuable is probably the near mint condition 'Grey Lensman' Astounding (it cost me well over $100). Nothing newer than 1960-ish in this thread, ideally.

(This thread, like most threads, has started to drift into general comments, in this case on pulps and their artwork which was not really my purpose. I've forgiven Extollager for posting non-SFF pulps he doesn't own as I'm assured it wont happen again :cool: :p )

Welcome to Chrons Kris .:)

Thanks guys for the warm welcome! I'm glad I found this forum. It seems to be full of enthusiasts sharing the same passion.

Back