Early Magazines in Your Collection (Astounding, Galaxy, etc.)

3 magazines in my collection. Might be time to revisit them...
IMG20231116083643-01_copy_1024x556.jpg

I started collecting science fiction digests by buying all the Nov. 1969 issues of everything on the market at that time. That was the month I was born. Then I concentrated on Robert Silverberg stories; he’s had hundreds from the 50s-00s. Along the way I picked up other issues of personal interest, such as the first Dune appearance in Analog and Fredric Brown’s What Mad Universe in Startling Stories (both pictured below.)

From famous fan dealer Robert Madle I got a bound collection of the first decade of Galaxy magazine. So many classic stories in thoses magazine.

856fe76c-3fda-4bd8-9878-9fbea241e85d.JPG

I’m wondering what’s happening on that cover. Is the woman a robot who’s about to be fixed by the screwdriver?

I've no idea - when I've read it I'll let you know but there is a distinct possibility that Curval's illustration has nothing to do with any story within.

Here's some more of his work:

I’m wondering what’s happening on that cover. Is the woman a robot who’s about to be fixed by the screwdriver?

Almost: The illustration was for a moment in a translation of the short story 'Asking' by Idris Seabright. In it a female robot turns herself for repair after getting very unrobotty thought and thinking very unrobotty questions.

The robot repair robot takes a screwdriver and starts to remove the access panel on the back of her neck and discovers she isn't a robot but a human.

Back