Looking for a book with a difference

Overread

Searching for a flower
Mortimer's History of England

So I know the title (and likely that name also notes the writer too) however my googling and searching and hitting up Abe's books isn't quite giving me results. That or I'm seeing the book and the title is a little different than I've been told. I wonder if anyone here is familiar with the book and if/where it might be found. It's certainly an older book as its something owned by my father years and years ago.

Aye that was the closest reference I could find, but its odd that they'd reprint volume 3 but no mention appears to be made of volumes 1 or 2 - plus its a reprint from scans not an original print version (though it might have been out of print for an insane amount of time).

The only hangup on reprints is how good they really are - my dad has more than a few plant ones where the OCR has played a merry bit of mania with the latin when its come to scanning and trying to recreate the words

This isn't my area, not at all... that said, the availablilty of the third volume alone, that's interesting...

Would volume 3 perhaps be available because there's enough academic interest in it for an OCR copy to make a profit?

Or perhaps there's no longer profit to be made making any further copies and that, given the third volume is of least interest, what we see is the remaining stock?

Edit: some of those offered are 2nd hand... same logic?

Last edited:
@Overread I found this list: Mortimer, Thomas, 1730-1810 | The Online Books Page
Which lists the book without the "Vol. 3" but if you follow the link(s) takes you to "Vol III".

Also these for the other two volumes: A New History of England from the Earliest Accounts of Britain to the Ratification of the Peace of Versailles, 1763 and A New History of England
but like you could find only Vol. 3 in a reprinted version.

On the other hand, there is an Abebooks seller selling the original three volumes - a snip at $1500.

Thanks Matteo! That at least confirms there are other volumes, however its sounding like this is one of those books to rare and limited to have gotten much reprint attention whilst being rather valuable in its original condition.
I'll try and see if I can find some history people who might know more, but its sounding like we'll have to pass on this one.